Returning goods.

Bald Eagle 16:52 13 Dec 10

I bought a home cinema setup from Argos 22/10/10. In the last week it has started reducing the volume for no reason. The digital display would go from the setting of 38 to 30 without any interaction from me. Today it has started to completely lose the sound and "lock itself up", only switching it off and on again will restore the sound level to normal. No external wiring has come loose so I assume it is an inherent fault and I should get either my money back or a replacement with no arguments. I also believe I do not have to accept a repair offer. Would you agree with my suppositions?
BE

spuds 18:26 13 Dec 10

Argos are normally very good at resolving issues like this, and perhaps more so if the item is less than 2 months old.

To know your legal rights, contact Consumer Direct click here

birdface 08:32 14 Dec 10

Just take it back.
Argos are very good at accepting faulty goods back and will either offer you a replacement or a refund.
If you are a bit worried about it go into their local store and ask.
Rr even phone them first if you have the number.
I have never had any problems with returning faulty goods ,not that it has happened that often.

Bald Eagle 09:39 14 Dec 10

Thanks spuds and buteman, it's just that I've had dealings with the manageress before. Took a deep fat fryer back once which she insisted was repairable, turns out after 3 weeks they do not (the manufacturer) do repairs. It was a stand-in manageress who told me this and she replaced it with a better one for my inconvenience. Also once returned a DAB radio that she wouldn't take back after one week. The transformer was external and the cover had pulled off with use around the house. She claimed it was excessive use. I had to mention the trading standards folk before she relented.

So with that in mind I wanted to be clear what I could demand.
BE

proudfoot 11:27 14 Dec 10

I have had problems with the manageress in my local store in the past. You have to stand your ground.
Speak to Consumer Direct they are exceedingly helpful, if necessary they will dictate a formal letter of complaint over the phone to assist you to send to HQ.
I have found Argos HQ to be generally fair regarding complaints.

interzone55 11:39 14 Dec 10

That's a perfect example of one person tarnishing a whole company.

Take it back, if this same manageress causes you a problem I suggest you raise a complaint with their Customer Services team

Customer Services
Argos Ltd.
489-499 Avebury Boulevard
Saxon Gate West
Central Milton Keynes
MK9 2NW

0870 600 303

spuds 11:52 14 Dec 10

It possibly goes to show how some stores differ from others. I have easy travel distance access to a number of Argos stores, and of the three main stores that I use I have never had any problems with staff or procedures, including reserve and collect. And that includes returns under the Argos 30 day money refund guarantee.

Perhaps worth a mention, Homebase is part of the Argos organisation. Also if you want interest free payment plans based on 3/6/9 months on certain items, then obtain an Argos store card.

Bald Eagle 19:52 15 Dec 10

All went well today. The regular manageress was off and the young lady I dealt with replaced the unit with no arguments!

BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos