Returning faulty goods - who pays transport costs?

Gary 21:24 04 Mar 03

I want to return some faulty goods to the supplier for a refund. Can anyone tell me who is legally responsible for paying the transport costs on the goods:
a) in the original instance from the supplier to myself; and
b) to return the goods from myself to the supplier?

There is a separate Contract in addition to the Contract of Sale for a 14 day money back guarantee and under it's terms I am responsible for both carriage charges. However, is this still the case if I am not returning the goods though choice but because they are faulty?

Gaz 25 21:40 04 Mar 03

should supply a carrier.

Gaz 25 21:42 04 Mar 03

then you may have to pay for it, they may not even allow it.

akzah 09:36 05 Mar 03

Depends, some companys pay for it others don't. It also depeneds and how much it will cost you to return it.

IBM agreed to pay for the carriage for my HD to Holland.

Scan on the other hand did not as it was memory to Bolton.

oresome 13:24 05 Mar 03

Don't know what the legal position is, but I have been given freepost addresses for small items like DVD's when wishing to return and have been credited with purchase cost and original p&p.

Better than a high street retailer when you think about it. Try getting your bus fare back!

Gary 18:48 05 Mar 03

to everyone who has replied to this posting. I have now contacted the supplier they are sending a courier to collect the goods - I didn't even have to ask - that is apparantly their standard proceedure.

It's interesting to see everyones experiences though, and like you say, it seems to be largely dependant on the manufacturer.

Stokey 12:27 06 Mar 03

I notice in the Mags that warranties seem to be available in two flavours. 1/ Return to base, and at extra cost 2/ Collect and Return. You don't pay for carriage on choice 2. So I suppose you pay or not according to which you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…