Returning damaged/defective goods

Curio 19:51 02 Nov 07

Have one of those kettles that starred on Watchdog earlier this week. Needs to be returned as it has a wobbly handle. Unfortunately have misplaced the receipt, so Comet will not touch it. As it was not in the group promulgated by Russell Hobbs, they refused to pay the carriage to get it replaced/repaired. Cost to me £7.25. (cheapest) postage. I am certain that these days one does not have to have the receipt if returning goods. Comet would do something if purchased by Credit Card but not a cash transaction. Just a query. Am I right or wrong in my assumption?
TIA

Marko797 19:59 02 Nov 07

I think the main issue for you is proving u bought it from Comet in the 1st place Curio.

laurie53 20:17 02 Nov 07

You're right, you don't legally need a receipt, but Marko797 is also right - you must have some proof you bought it at Comet.

oresome 20:19 02 Nov 07

If your kettle is not one of the batch identified as faulty could it just be that the screw need tightning?

I understood from the programme that the faulty batch had a shorter threaded boss incorporated into the handle for the screw. Other batches were OK in this respect.

crosstrainer 11:23 03 Nov 07

Yes you are right, if you had purchased the kettle via credit card Comet would take notice...personally, I would be inclined to ask for the manager and stamp my feet a little.

Failing that, put your complaint in writing, addressed to the manager and marked "Private and Confidential" (this ensures that only the manager reads it, and it won't get binned by a secratary.

I'm pretty sure that Comet will not want to fall out over a kettle!

Curio 17:20 03 Nov 07

I would have tightened it up myself if access was possible - it ain't! Spoke with Management at Comet to no avail. It is winging back to Russell Hobbs for the to sort. Thanks for rsponses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…