Return to base warranty - postage costs ?

Meekster 02:52 21 Jun 05

I am thinking of buying a new computer soon , from Mesh or other large internet supplier.

Since I am in NI , there is no onsite warranty from most companies only return to base.

My questions are ..

If it arrives and if it does not work, if I inform the supplier immediately that I do not accept the goods as "Of satisfactory quality" or as "Fit for the purpose" , who pays for the return postage ?

For courier to the mainland thats likely to be £50-£70 each way .

Even if have I pay the return costs until the fault is determined am I entitled to a refund of the postage eventually ? Note, assume the goods actually are found to be faulty..

The same question about postage if it fails within say 6 months.

In this case I would have obviously accepted the computer (acceptance under the Sales of Goods Act), however , if actually found to be faulty after only six months I assume I would be covered under the Sale of Goods Act also since it is fair to say a consumer product such as a computer should last at least this lone and could claim "the remedies of repair or replacement within the first six months".

In that case the act goes on to say "the repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience to the consumer."

Does that mean the seller of the goods must pay my costs for shipping the computer back and forth , or can they expect me to pay ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:20 21 Jun 05

Buy it from PCWorld and save all the hassle.

G

Aspman 11:39 21 Jun 05

Get in touch with them and ask what their policy is.

If you don't get a reply then that may also tell you something about the company also.

Stuartli 13:48 21 Jun 05

Ifyou go to the Mesh website click here and read Section 6.3 of the Terms and Conditions, you will ascertain that Mesh generally is responsible for returns etc free of charge for the first 14 days.

There are small variations which should be studied carefully.

spuds 14:21 21 Jun 05

Why not consider Dell, they have a presence in NI and over the border.

If I had as little faith as you seem to have with internet suppliers then I would go with GANDALF, PC World is your best bet.

clayton 18:45 21 Jun 05

I too would say buy from Dell, i think you would get a much better deal there.

jackthelad71 19:51 21 Jun 05

If it does not work when it arives it is DEAD ON ARIVAL and you can demand your money back as it is not suitable for the purpose it was meant for

Meekster 02:04 22 Jun 05

Umm, well i was actually wanting an opinion of the matter from a legal point of view , not a critique of where i wish to buy my computer from.

A pity no one with more experience than I in these matters saw fit to chip in an answer.

As to buying from Dell as opposed to Mesh or similar, well, for what you get at Mesh for say £1200 , you would need to spend nearly £2000 to get the same from Dell.
Since I am on a budget and this is my first new computer in 7 years I was hoping to actually spend the money on a powerful computer , not the little badge saying Dell ...

Since I have not actually bought such an expensiive item for many years , I was thinking to see if anyone had more experience of the law in these matters than I ..

Stuartli 11:20 22 Jun 05

But that is why you have to read the terms and conditions.....:-)

However, even then your statutory rights will not be affected.

You also need to study the distance selling regulations:

click here

plus the Sales of Goods Act etc

spuds 19:08 22 Jun 05

As you require what the law states, you may find the answer here click here or click here
Possibly may not apply to NI in full text, in which case you may need to seek advice more local.

I notice that your introduction did state 'from Mesh or other large internet supplier'. Dell may have a little badge, but it also fits your large internet supplier reference :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…