Retention of credit card numbers.

bluto1 22:28 05 Jan 09

Is this legal?
A friend today paid a bill by credit card and when he hung up he said "It was lucky they'd kept a record of my card number, it saved me trying to read it"
Are commercial online companies allowed to keep a record of a customer's card number?
It seems wrong to me in as much as computer security is not as good as it could be.

spuds 23:19 05 Jan 09

There is nothing illegal about companies keeping credit/debit card or bank account details. In fact some transactions can work very well with this arrangement, providing of course safety and safeguards have been assured and taken.

tullie 00:10 06 Jan 09

Normal practise,saves starting from scratch for every purchase.

bluto1 00:18 06 Jan 09

Thanks for replies. I was worried about my old mate, and myself, so I'll rest a bit easier. Cheers

Stuartli 00:20 06 Jan 09

Normally, the retention of a credit/debit card number on a particular website is entirely down to your choice.

If you use the website on a regular basis it can save a certain amount of time keying in the details again.

As you can normally only access the secure area of the website using a username and password, security is ensured.

Amazon, e-Bay, financial institutions and similar websites spring to mind.

wiz-king 06:06 06 Jan 09

Yes, most e-commerce sites can keep the number but you may have to give them the expiry and the security number from the back of the card each time. The software we have on our site only stores the card number not the security number.

bluto1 21:11 06 Jan 09

Thanks Stuartli and wiz-king.

iscanut2 21:23 06 Jan 09

I use many sites that have retained my Cr card number ( not the 3 digit security number ) and I have never had any problems with that. Amazon, EBay, PayPal, Local Water Authority, other cr card companies ( they have my Debit card number !).and so on so as others have said, not unusual at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…