Restoring old photographs

anchor 09:46 29 Jan 05

I was recently sent by e-mail an old picture consisting of 3 separate photos making a panorama. It came from a friend in Cape Town, and was badly faded and low resolution.

I set to work in Paint Shop Pro, and this is the result; before and after.

click here

Paint Shop Pro is a brilliant programme, and not too difficult to master.

Mango Grummit 10:43 29 Jan 05

I bet you have sent your friend the new "anchor" version -- nice job, well done.

M

Forum Editor 12:01 29 Jan 05

on the back of the boat have a blue shirt?

Nice job anchor.

JonnyTub 13:04 29 Jan 05

beautiful work !

David4637 13:21 29 Jan 05

I thimk you have done well, the original was very poor and badly colour casted. It would be very useful to a lot of image editing enthusiasts, if you briefly described the process you went through to achieve the end result. Well Done. Thanks David

Smiler 13:27 29 Jan 05

Very good effort and as David4637 says a brief of what you did would be nice.

Hamish 13:54 29 Jan 05

A very well done job and I bet that you had great satisfaction when completed and great fun doing it

mbp 14:01 29 Jan 05

It is a very nice restoration work. I is in sepia, have you tried to introduce color into the photo i.e. red, greens, blues?

Excellent job Well done

anchor 17:14 29 Jan 05

Very briefly, this is how it was done in Paint Shop Pro. I knew it originally was made from 3 colour photos, but VERY badly faded. I first eliminated the joins using the clone tool.

Next, I used the colours adjust, red/green/blue, decreasing the red a lot, and increasing blue a lot, & adding some green. Then, adjusted brightness & contrast to give it some sparkle.

Next, using the smart edge selection tool, I selected the sea, and again using the colour adjust, increased blue, decreased red, playing with the settings to give a reasonable sea colour. I then selected the seafront and mountains, adjusted the brightness and contrast again to increase the effect of the white buildings. I made a further adjustment on this selection in highlight/midtone/shadow, increasing highlight and shadow a few points. Finally, on this selection I made a very strong sharpness adjustment using unsharp mask. A much smaller adjustment was done on the rest of the picture. A small decrease in overall gamma improved it.

I then selected the sky, using the smart edge selection tool, and used flood fill to make it a nice blue.

This is a very brief description, quite a lot of fine tuning was subsequently done, but the end result surprised me; I did not think such a poor quality original could give this more than acceptable result.

I suppose in all, it took about 45 minutes.

Yes, my friend in South Africa was amazed and very pleased, (as was I). Had he sent me the original in higher resolution, the result might have been even better.

Vive Le Paint Shop Pro!. As with any photo programme, the more you use, and become familiar with it, the more you will be able to do with it.

jakimo 17:42 29 Jan 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…