Replacing my Gateway PC

Orchid7 00:00 16 Jul 05

I've owned 2 PCS, both from Gateway. The last was purchased approx 4 years ago, then they promptly pulled out of Europe, otherwise I'd have bought another one. I'm inclined to Mesh because of the good reviews I read, but then come the complaining postings about poor service. Result = confusion!

stylehurst 10:59 16 Jul 05

Have a look at Novatech they hve a good reputation overall, and won PCPro retailer of year for 2004

Europa 13:18 16 Jul 05

Such a shame that gateway have gone, what I did like about them is that after 2 years you could upgrade your Pc andthey were buying back the old one (even for a couple of hundred pounds, it was still worth it). Evesham seems to be a good option and their aftersale service seems ok. Their PC seems a bit more expensive than Mesh ones. Mesh seems to have good systems for all budgets, and both gives a good warranty with their systems. Unfortunately, things can go wrong from time to time and , as with any company and any products, you might end up dealing with the newbie who do not know what's where and can give you a bad time, or someone with a big personal problem who can't care enough. As you know this forum already, if you buy a mesh and you have a problem, you can come here, as Mesh have a presence on this forum, some problems were solved through here.
I have a Gateway to be replaced soon, I am looking as well at Kustompcs, they have a more one to one attitude and you can customise your system as you wish, from the case you want to the PSU through to cooling and noise reduction etc....
You just need to gather as much information as possible and go with your gut feelings.
Mesh click here
Evesham click here
Kustompcs click here

sunny staines 16:56 17 Jul 05

its a shame they do not return to the uk,they would wipe the floor with the present competition from big suppliers in terms of quality,good spec,customer service and free help lines for life.

plasticsam 00:34 18 Jul 05

I had a P2 266 Gateway 2000, very solid, incredibly well built, and very reliable. Most bits still going strong, I think I only updated the graphics card and modem. My daughter now uses it regularly teaching her 4yr old how to use it.
I wondered what to buy next, and decided to build my own instead. I researched a bit to decide what I needed, bought what I wanted, learned an awful lot, and upgrading is easier because having bought the component parts, you know what needs to be given a "boost". I can recommend this course of action to anyone with just a little bit of savvy and patience.

ajm 12:20 18 Jul 05

I have recalled seeing/hearing that the Emachines-branded PCs sold through DSG outfits are owned by Gateway in the USA.

Al94 17:11 18 Jul 05

Quote from eMachine's website

eMachines, one of the world's fastest growing and most efficient PC makers, was acquired by Gateway, Inc. in March 2004 for $262 milllion in cash and shares. It remains a stand-alone brand that is sold through leading retailers and catalog and online merchandisers in the U.S. and selected markets abroad.

Since its launch in 1998, eMachines has shipped more than five million systems. It was the second-largest vendor of desktop PCs sold through U.S. retailers and has a rapidly growing notebook business.

Internationally, eMachines' low-cost, full-featured systems are sold in Japan and the UK, with further expansion into Western Europe planned soon.

Wayne Inouye, who joined eMachines in 2001 and quickly turned it from a money losing business into one of the world's fastest growing brands, currently serves as CEO of Gateway.

bruno 20:56 18 Jul 05

I have just been on Comet website and they are advertising Gateway computers.I thought they looked a very good spec. for the price.

bvw in bristol 15:33 19 Jul 05
  anchor 16:03 19 Jul 05

Gateway range at Comet UK.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…