Replacement External Hard-drive

wee eddie 09:10 28 May 06

My Maxtor 500XT has just hit the floor. The kitten done it! I've forgiven him!

(The problem is that it produces a different Error Code on each Partition that I try to enter. I have even tried to Format one of the partitions and that will not complete. Unless someone has a good idea, I am assuming that it is dead.)

There was nothing but Back-ups on it, so nothing is lost, however I will have to replace it pretty soon.

So - a new one is necessary. Backing up 80GB to DVD is unreal.

If last months tests are to be believed, USB powered drives appear to be of dubious usability.

A method of turning it "On/Off" would be advantageous, the Maxtor had none and that was a drag.

Otherwise anything over 180GB would be considered.

Any ideas and experiences would be welcome.

ICF 09:34 28 May 06
  Taff™ 09:53 28 May 06

click here - Cheapest Around.(If you have a local store phone them to check availability) I recommend these for online purchases click here

These external drives pop up at special prices all the time. PC World don`t have any specials at the moment but I think they had a £90 320 Gb Hitachi a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth hanging on for a couple of weeks and keep looking.

ICF 16:18 28 May 06

Taff™ how can Maplins be the cheapest around when misco & Ebuyer are cheaper.

Maplins
Seagate Hard Disk Drive 250GB External £109.99
click here

Misco
Seagate Hard Disk Drive 250GB External £83.42 with delivery click here

Ebuyer
Seagate Hard Disk Drive 250GB External with delivery £80.47
click here

wee eddie 16:29 28 May 06

is the only problem with the Seagate.

If your drive is permanently connected then you have a seriously increased Start-up period, also the constant consumption of power for something which will only be needed once a week or so.

That was one of the problems with the Maxtor, its "Close-down was somewhat erratic while using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function, and if I let close at the same time as the PC, it took forever.

Smiler 17:29 28 May 06

If you want a Maxtor look here click here

ICF 18:21 28 May 06

It does have a power switch
click here

siouxah1 18:43 28 May 06

click here
Have a quick look at this one. You will need to provide your own hard drive but that is easy.

Has USB 2 connection
Firewire connection
Own ac adaptor power supply
On/off switch
Supplied with all necessary cables.
In use indicater and power on indicater.

Does have a 250 GB drive size limit.

Am presently using this with maxtor 160 GB.

Regards

Taff™ 20:27 28 May 06

£69.99 inc VAT was always cheaper when I was at school!;-)) Admittedly Gb per £ you win hands down!

ade.h 21:04 28 May 06

What about this one click here It has a power button and an external power supply. It seems very good value.

ICF 07:19 29 May 06

Taff™
The 160GB can't be considered because we eddie said :-

"Otherwise anything over 180GB would be considered"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…