replacement cd / dvd rw combo for

Diodorus Siculus 18:24 26 Aug 06

Novatech 8081 laptop.

From research this seems to be a MITAC rebadged machine.

Can anyone

a - confirm that it is

b - tell me where in the UK I can get a replacement drive. I've found a German site but would prefer a UK based source if possible.

Thanks as always, Dio

freaky 18:46 26 Aug 06

Why don't you contact Novatech !

Diodorus Siculus 18:59 26 Aug 06

Because it is Saturday evening and they closed at lunctime; open again for technical / sales info on Tuesday.

freaky 19:58 26 Aug 06

Some years ago I bought a 2nd hand Microtec laptop, had it about 6 months and the cd/dvd drive packed in. Had it replaced OK but it cost about £100....at the time was not a member of this forum to rearch advice.

Hope you get a replacement OK.

Stuartli 20:37 26 Aug 06

You may be able to recognise your particular model at:

click here

This link will also prove of interest:

click here

Diodorus Siculus 02:44 27 Aug 06

Stuartli - thanks for the links; I;ll take a look later in the morning.

De Marcus™ 02:56 27 Aug 06

DS, you may find that a generic one will fit, most manufacturers use generic slimline types and fit them inside a plastic moulding which then fits into the slot. Is it possible (seeing as it's faulty) to remove the drive and look at it's dimensions?

De Marcus™ 02:57 27 Aug 06

I recently replaced a toshiba laptops knackered generic drive with one of these click here

De Marcus™ 02:59 27 Aug 06

Sorry that's one I looked at, the actual one I bought was click here

Diodorus Siculus 09:33 27 Aug 06

De Marcus™ - I've taken it out and had a look and it seems standard but I'm not sure.

There are a few serial numbers on it that I will google and see what I come up with.

De Marcus™ 16:09 27 Aug 06

I took a slight chance when I bought my replacement, whilst the dimensions matched, I wasn't able to determine whether the shape would match, and purchased on the belief that they're built to a standard shape, size. I don't know if that's true, but when it turned up, it fitted.

I also knew novatech (or for that matter ebuyer) have great (in my experience) returns procedures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…