Repair rip off

Wayoh 19:03 01 Jan 04

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 that I bought for its supposed quality.

The machine has never been perfect and recently the help line in India diagnosed that it needed a new motherboard. A bloke in Ireland then rang with a quote of £425 plus VAT. I am not an expert ny any means but I thought it was a dodgy harddrive because of a ticking sound made.

I was very unconvinced with Dell's diagnosis and took the machine to a local shop. They put in a new hard drive for £110 inc VAT and the machine now works perfectly.

I am sure that DELL would have charged me the full amount quoted and probably not but in a new moteherboard. In other words a rip off. I have complained to Dell but guess what - no response!

oresome 20:13 01 Jan 04

Unfair to accuse Dell of ripping you off. What grounds have you for thinking they would charge for a component they didn't fit? I suspect they quoted for the worst case scenario so that the bill wouldn't come as a nasty surprise. The engineer would make the final diagnosis after seeing the machine.

Terrahawk 07:49 02 Jan 04

we all get annoyed from time to time but i would be very carefull about making unwarrented and unproven accusations against a supplier you will do yourself no favours.i would suspect if the complaint you made to dell was anything like your post that could explain the lack of response.

Forum Editor 09:18 02 Jan 04

against Dell is unacceptable here, and made without any substantiating evidence whatsoever. I can understand that you were less than satisfied with the diagnosis, but that's no excuse for making such a wild (and libellous) accusation.

Thread closed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…