Repair policies

waamo 09:36 13 Aug 04

My computer has died on me and is fortunatly still under warranty. I have been advised though that when it goes for repair they will wipe the hard drive therby trashing all my data.

The company claim this is common practice and will not budge on this issue. Are they correct or will other companies return a machine with the data intact?

spuds 11:46 13 Aug 04

This is standard trade practise, and most if not all manufacturers/repairers will stick very strictly to this policy. It is the customers responsibilty to have previous work back-up.

Urotsukidoji 11:48 13 Aug 04

data recovery/ maintenance is the responsibility of the consumer not the manufacturer.

wee eddie 19:56 13 Aug 04

If you have a local itinerant PC professional of some kind. It may be worth checking him out.

Remove the HDD > Slave it to another > copy the files over > Stick it back in > and send it off to the manufacturer.

It might be sensible to request permission to do this, as opening the case can invalidate the Warranty.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:39 13 Aug 04

Backing up data is a necessity not an afterthought. It is your responsibility and no one else's and the company are acting correctly. I would follow wee eddie's advice. I can guarantee that you will never forget to backup in the future.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…