Remember the disastrous ebuyer 5.1 speakers offer?

Stuartli 08:31 13 Mar 04

Many of you will remember the catastrophic ebuyer offer of Hercules 5.1 speakers for around £8 a few weeks ago...

Well here's the chance to get a 5.1 system from Umax/Yamada for just £19.99 including VAT (box damaged but contents claimed to be perfect) or the full retail box version for £29.99.

It's from BigPockets, which has always served its customers well, and you can find out more at:

click here

Stuartli 08:44 13 Mar 04

Just found the same speakers here:

click here

also for £30.....:-(

georgemac 11:54 13 Mar 04

have ordered a set for my son's pc, along with a pair of sony headphones reduced from £10 to £2 (in case the noise is too loud!)

georgemac 16:08 16 Mar 04

my speakers came today - hmm have I made a boo boo, I have a soundblaster 5.1 live soundcard in my sons pc, and the cabling does not match?

do you have any experience here?

Stuartli 16:23 16 Mar 04

You can check the SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 manual at:

click here

or, even better, download it to save for future use.

Not sure what you mean by cabling doesn't match - do you mean the plugs?

I've an IBM 2.1 system and there are enough cables to keep anyone happy here, never mind 5.1, but they are all colour coded so the original setup was straightforward.

Stuartli 16:27 16 Mar 04

The Umax/Yamada UK website is at:

click here

georgemac 16:42 16 Mar 04

it looks like the subwoofer has standard audio jack connections for the 5 speakers and the subwoofer.

the s/b live 5.1 soundcard only has an analog/digital 3 mm output jack, so the connections without some sort of adaptor do not fit together.

I wonder if I need a dolby digital decoder or something to go in between - or a newer higher spec soundcard - am downloading the manual now but it does not look like it says how to connect the speakers. Looks like it is mainly how to use the software.

JerryJay 17:30 16 Mar 04

it is not nice looking from picture, what about real thing

georgemac 18:11 16 Mar 04

only for my sons bedroom, not as nice as our panasonic surround sound speakers in the conservatory, but as long as they sound good!

Think I have it sussed, will buy 3 of 3.5 mm jack plug to double rca adaptors - that should hopefully do it. click here have never used them before but look OK.

Stuartli 11:52 17 Mar 04

You've got me puzzled. My SoundBlaster has five outlets i.e. analog/digital out jack, line in jack, mic in jack, line out jack and rear out jack (reading from the left).

Are you sure you are not getting confused with the CD-ROM, SPIDF, Aux and telephone answering jacks on the side?

georgemac 12:10 17 Mar 04

my Soundblaster has the same outlets, and I now figure it is a live not live 5.1

the outlets on it are the same, but take 3.5 mm mini jack plugs.

the speakers are supplied with RCA audio connections which do not fit the sound card outputs, so an adaptor is needed, to go from 1 3.5 mm mini jack to 2 rca outlets for the speaker.

From what I've read on the creative site

The Sound Blaster Live! has only a discrete Line-Out and Rear-Out, there is not a center/subwoofer output. To connect the card to analog 5.1 speakers such as the Creative Inspire 5300, connect the Line-Out on the audio card to the Line-In (or Left- and Right- In) of the speaker system and the Rear-out of the SBLive to the Rear-In (or Rear Left- and Right- In) of the speaker system.
Note: Do not connect either of the cards outputs to the Center/Subwoofer input of the speaker system. Speakers such as the Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 Generate the Center and Subwoofer signals internally

I would guess the umax speakers do not generate the centre and subwoofer signals

for sb live 5.1

The connections from the Sound Blaster card to an external speaker system depend primarily on the use of the sound card, applicable hardware restrictions, and often on personal preference.
This article discusses the physical connections only. If you need further assistance on the operation of your amplifier, please consult its manual.
The Line-Out jacks on the audio card are 1/8" mini stereo jacks, identified as Line-Out 1 (Front Out), Line-Out 2 (Rear Out). The common analog audio input connectors on Home Theater systems are RCA (mono) sockets. Each input will be labelled as Front Right (RF), Front Left (RL), Rear Right (RR) and Rear Left (RL). The Rear channels may also be identified as LS and RS for Left Surround and Right Surround, respectively. In the Creative Mixer, be sure to disable the option for Digital Output Only.
If the home theater unit is a 5.1 channel system with discrete analogue RCA input jacks, Line Out 1 and Line-Out 2 each require a standard stereo mini jack to dual RCA converter. Connect one mini jack to the Line-Out 1 jack, then connect the RED RCA plug to Front Right Input jack and WHITE RCA plug to the Front Left Input jack on the amplifier; connect another mini plug to the Line-Out 2 jack, then connect the RED RCA plug to Rear Right Input jack and WHITE RCA plug to the Rear Left Input jack on the amplifier. The Center and Subwoofer inputs on the amplifier remain disconnected, as the SB Live! does not provide such outputs.
S/B Live 5.1
The Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 cards have a shared jack for Analog center/subwoofer out and Digital Out. This jack is a 4-pole mini jack (1/8"). The selection between Analog Out and Digital Out is determined by software.

any clearer! the adaptors I ordered have been dispatched so hopefully I will have them tomorrow.

will see how the speakers sound, may even decide to upgrade to an audighy. the motherboard has onboard sound (asus a7a266) so may even check and see if it supports subwoofer.

My mobo is more up to date a7v333 it may support surround, but it will be easier to upgrade the sound card than to swap motherboards!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…