A reliable CDRW?

Diemmess 17:05 27 Apr 03

Or is that a contradiction in terms?
My Yamaha is just old enough to be a basket case rather than a warranty replacement.

It has crashed installations once too often, rubbing salt in my wounds by refusing me control of my box and refusing to let go of the disk until I have suffered the indignity of rebooting.

This is consumerwatch, I think CDRoms are the most fragile and dodgy items there are so I would like suggestions.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise I will go for a budget one (own brand)from Novatech or similar. I have no special needs other than reliability and no underlying snags like an urgent need for a firmware update.

Obviously, like Which magazine, it is no use telling me about one you have had since the dawn of time, just quiet sensible no nonsense models please.

Thank you now for any input.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:12 27 Apr 03

I use a LiteOn CDRW 24-10-40 and it has burned in the region of 800+ disks. it also came with the latest version of Nero :-))))) I have had 8 coasters of which 7 were my fault and one unexplained. My next one will also be LiteOn.

G

dsimitas 17:29 27 Apr 03

I like LiteOn CD-RW I couple people I know and me find them to run without big thigs happen.

NOTE some of the people i know seem to brun all day with them

Coaster3 17:42 27 Apr 03

I agree with Gandalf. I bought two LiteOn burners for the kids and they have had absolutely no problems. Bought a third which had a special sort of drawer. It wouldn't open. It is corrently being exchanged under warranty.

mcullum_DX4Life 17:42 27 Apr 03

Any CDRW is about as reliable as any other these days, Plextor are still the premier brand though, and Ebuyer have a 40x12x40x Plextor CDRW drive for just £25 - well they did yesterday, i ahve just looked and they are of stock now. They have LiteOn in stock though for £30 and they are very very good make.

Patr100 19:16 27 Apr 03

The first CDRWriters may have been more than temperamental as my old Iomega 4X was though it was top of the range at the time (as always).

Now like many, have a Liteon - faster, cheap and reliable.

miffie 20:59 27 Apr 03

Diemmess
I also have a Liteon CDRW used almost daily over
the last 12 months with Nero and InCD software. As a newbie it is a piece of cake to operate would recommend it to anyone.
Miffie

Mastermind 23:22 27 Apr 03

I've used three LG GCE-8480B CD-Rewriters and haven't had any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…