Reliability versus extended warranties

Bald Eagle 06:57 13 Jan 04

Not really computers but my 32" Hitachi TV has finally given up. I read somewhere on this site that even after the 1 year guarantee different products are expected by law to last certain lengths of time during which they should be repaired. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also any sights comparing TV reliability? Tried Which? but not much help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:16 13 Jan 04

Since early 2003, an item has got to last a 'reasonable' period after purchase, subject to no misuse. 1/2 years before a TV is borked would probably be considered as the item not being fit for intended use. If your TV is <3 years old it may be worth going back to the retailer for a chat.

However, as with most laws, the Consumer Act is not plain sailing and tries to be fair to consumer AND retailer. You have to prove that the item did not last as long as it should have done...... and here lies the problem. How long should a TV last? 1. 2. 3. 4, 5 years? There are no set rules and the onus is on the complainant to prove fault. A new 32" TV costs around £300 and you have to balance this with the hassle of County Court etc.

If the TV is totally borked then your home insurance should cover you. If a TV does not work and it is not the tube, a repair should cost no more than £60 from a local engineer....all they do is whip out a circuit board and replace it with another. It may be worth getting a quote and phoning your insurance company.

G

Bald Eagle 07:24 13 Jan 04

Present TV is about 5 years old. Had it repaired once £50. Now got 2 faults, previous fault plus another one, so calling it a day.

Sir Radfordin 10:09 13 Jan 04

Think it is Stuarti (?) who knows people involved in the retail side of TV products and has a site that shows how long stuff should last according to a code that various traders agree to.

After 5 years I'm guessing that your TV has done it's time and whilt it would be nice to still be using it in another 5 I think you would be hard pushed to say it hadn't lasted long enough.

oresome 21:50 14 Jan 04

My experience with large screen TV's is a useful life of around 10 years with perhaps one repair necessary during that period. The tube is past it's best by this time. I've been less fortunate with portables, which average around 5 years with less use, but repairing these is hardly worth contemplating. I would expect a 32" Hitachi to last in excess of 5 years being what I consider to be a premium brand. Last 2 TV's I've owned have had free 5 year warranties which were never called on.

davidg_richmond 23:16 14 Jan 04

click here is an organization of electrical retailers that agree to follow a code of practice. Not all retailers are part of RETRA, such as the larger UK ones.

spuds 23:36 14 Jan 04

Reference to davidg_richmond link.Tempo the now defunct large electrical retail outlet was a member of RETRA. I was one of the unfortunates dealing with Tempo before their demise, and I reported bad practises that Tempo were conducting at the time. RETRA's response was total negativity.

Stuartli 09:17 16 Jan 04

There have been a large number of failures of widescreen tubes in recent times - it's well documented in the industry.

Here's some examples:

click here

click here

click here

..and some official views on extended warranties:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…