Reliability of AverMedia's DVB-T Tv Tuner

s4wrs 21:32 20 Jul 04

The latest version of PC Advisor mag. (Sept 04) has an excellent article on turning a Pc into a DVD recorder. Because I live in Cambridge and already use Digital Freeview on my TV I would like to try out a Digital TV Tuner on my PC.

Problem is the the AverMedia DVB-T that the workshop article mentions gets very variable user reviews.

I would welcome any advice or experience comment. Perhaps the PC Advisor editor will read this and do a follow up article reviewing various tuners, their worth and reliability?

I run a XP home, Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ with one gig of ram. Plus two large hard drives.
Thanks in anticipation.

SEASHANTY 15:11 21 Jul 04

TV Tuners and Video Capture Cards - there's just so many of them
click here

Salinger 15:30 21 Jul 04

The Haupauge DEC 2000 has its own inbuilt recording facility for off-air digital broadcast recording, works fine. Uses LOTS of space on your HDD.

Stuartli 16:32 21 Jul 04

It would be impossible to do magazine reviews of TV cards - or anything else for that matter - that could include any meaningful analysis of reliability.

TomJerry 16:41 21 Jul 04

I read a few reviews about this product, all said picture quality is very good but Software setup is difficult. Personally, I found picture quality is excellent (much much better than analogue TV card). Also the software set up is very very easy both on XP and 2K, I cannot undersatand why some reviewers found difficult to set up software.

TomJerry 16:43 21 Jul 04

so, save HDD space.

s4wrs 22:12 21 Jul 04

Is the recorded picture quality to the same excellent standard? Any problems with recording particular items to DVD/ I think you have swayed me to buy with your comments, but I will leave this thread open to see if any other comment comes through. Well done all - much appreciated.

Rogerfredo 14:24 22 Jul 04

I've had one also for about 2 months.
I am very satisfied with the picture and setup was straightforward, once I had a decent "digital" capable antenna fitted. (when I tried to use my normal antenna, the gain was insufficient for the setup to detect channels.)
The only disappointment is the inability to use teletext, which Avermedia said would be adressed shortly, but now are saying that it will not be done.Recorded video is as good as the original picture.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…