Registry Cleaner pros&cons

ened 07:20 12 Jul 08

Hi.

I have another thread going and was advised to run ccleaner to try to sort out my problem.

I have been using my own computer for fifteen years now and have never before run a registry cleaner. To the best of my knowledge I have not suffered as a result.

I ran this earlier and now find I have an inconvenience in that it has destroyed all my history, my problem wasn't solved and I have noticed no discernable difference in performance.

I am wondering what is the point of such a utility?

Cymro. 10:00 12 Jul 08

There are those that believe registry cleaners to be of no use whatsoever and in fact can cause more problems than they fix. I dare say that someone more knowledgeable than me in these things will see this post and tell you more than I can.

But even having said that, I have CC Cleaner installed on my computer and use it from time to time. I do THINK that it helps my system to run more smoothly.

spuds 11:15 12 Jul 08

Personally I use Advance Window Care 2 Personal and CCleaner (both free and supported), which I find more than adequate and fairly safe plus easy to use. Use them once a week or as I feel.

In the wings I have Eusing, which was recommended on this forum, but I find this program seems to locate many problems.

rdave13 19:21 12 Jul 08

Ccleaner is there to clean out temp files and internet cashe, as an uninstaller and a registry cleaner. On the left pane you have a choice of what to clean. If you'd have unticked the history boxes then it wouldn't have deleted them. One of the best free software in my opinion. Sometimes when streaming a video, say from youtube, and it continually stops for buffering, I'll run Ccleaner and that will usually cure it and the video will stream ok.
I don't use any optimizing programs as Ccleaner and regscrubvistaxp and a disk defragger are enough for me.

Snec 21:49 12 Jul 08

Registry cleaners, like a lot of things, are best left alone if you are uncertain of what you are doing.

ened 09:59 13 Jul 08

I followed you advice in the other thread and ran the cleaner. I decided to leave everything ticked because I had no idea where the problem lay and decided to 'clean' all departments.

I am not complaining and really appreciated your help. In my case it didn't work. But it is a learning process.

The problem is that I found it didn't cure my problem and this morning tried to do a system restore only to end up with the BSOD.

The History loss was a minor inconvenience but I can't understand why it interfered with System Restore.

My Father regularly runs on of these cleaners and is always calling me with problems and I am beginning to wonder if I have found out why.

J B 11:24 13 Jul 08

Have a read of this click here
Should answer all of your questions. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…