Refund or not

apollogeemark 21:52 30 Apr 04

Just a quick question.

I bought something it turned out to be faulty.
Took it back, didn’t have the receipt, but there was someone with me when I bought it which i pointed out was proof enough.

assistant said its not
Are policy is to only give credit note if no receipt.

Any help please

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:39 30 Apr 04

There would have to be some proof that you bought the item from that shop or to prove that it had not been robbed/lifted. No receipt=no proof. However if you paid by DD or credit card there may be an electronic receipt.

G

spuds 23:04 30 Apr 04

A number of stores will only give credit notes if no receipt is produced.They will not give refunds.But of course this will depend on their goodwill, if they think the item was obtained from their store in the first place, by legal means.

As Gandalf as stated. If you have an electronic receipt or perhaps a cheque book stub, so that they can trace the item and check their records, then everything should be fine.

The Turner 15:30 01 May 04

Just to let you know, that as far as I am aware, if they sold you a faulty product, under the Sale of Goods Act, you are entitled to a full refund reguardless of whether you have a reciept or not. You do not have to accept store credit, you are legally entitled to a full refund!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:39 01 May 04

Common sense would dictate that unless the item is generic you still have to prove that you bought it from the store. We are not discussing whether the store should replace a faulty item but why they should assume that they sold the item. Put yourself in the store's shoes, you would want to have proof that the item was purchased from you. The customer is not always right especially if they are unable to prove purchase. There are still some responsibilities that lie outside the vendor's remit.

G

spuds 19:35 01 May 04

Whilst it is illegal to insist that you must have a credit note, if a item is faulty, this legality doe's not apply to a item which have no tracable purchase history like a till receipt etc.

If a till receipt or any form of proof of purchase, is offered and shown, then the seller must give a refund via cash,credit card etc.

bfoc 20:02 01 May 04

A retailer has to offer a refund if an item is faulty when sold by them and that fault becomes apparant within a reasonable time.

There has to be proof it was sold by them. This could be receipt, credit or debit card entry, cheque number, stock code on box.

In theory a witness could be 'proof' but a shop would also want time/date of purchase (many can track it via their own till records).

Clearly if you paid cash, have no receipt or stock code, the item is available elsewhere and any additional 'proof' of time, date and who served you, are not available there is likely to be a problem and a credit note might be the only option available.

apollogeemark 00:18 02 May 04

I do have the box, which clearly shows the shop logo, and there are only 2 shops of this particular store within local distance.

I did have someone with me at the time as proof.

Surely if its good enough to be accepted in a court of law, witness giving evidence etc, then a shop should.

Thanks

Forum Editor 00:43 02 May 04

you will require a paper 'proof of purchase' as others have said. A court of law isn't involved, this is a matter between you and the retailer, and unless you have a till receipt or a credit/debit card transaction slip you have no way of proving your purchase.

How long was it between the purchase date and when the fault manifested itself, and what was the item?

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:49 02 May 04

'I did have someone with me at the time as proof.'...this is not proof as it would be inadmissible evidence. To be blunt, you have no chance unless you have a receipt, forget it.

G

bfoc 20:27 02 May 04

Might be useful if it was taken to court, and their evidence would be admissable to describe what they saw, but it is hard to imagine why it would be worth a court visit in terms of time trouble and expense!

The problem with a sticker, without a stock code, is that it could have been placed there by anybody and so is not proof of purchase. A stock code unique to the shop is useful evidence and can be used to track the purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…