With reference to the 'Customer service' threads..

Tim1964 00:10 25 Aug 04

I attempted to buy a secure digital card for my digital camera this evening. First try at Amazon (bought from them before, so they have all my details). Went through the whole process, including entering card details, to be told "Internal error on our system, please try later". Next, Pcnextday. Even though the 'SOLO' card symbol is on every page they decided to tell me, at the very last stage, "your card type is not accepted....". Third try, Ebuyer. Finally got the card ordered.......Horray!!

So, would I pay slightly more for good customer service? I ended up paying slightly more to get ANY SERVICE in the first place.

I must admit I'm losing faith in online shopping and maybe it's worth paying that bit extra just to go to Argos/Tesco's et al and just give them the money (they don't seem to have problems in that department).

Magik ®© 09:33 25 Aug 04

would it not be best to find out why the card is being chucked out each time? out of date or something?

Tim1964 17:59 25 Aug 04

The prob with Amazon was definitely at their end (so they lost a customer on that occasion). I have tried to use my SOLO card on sites before that quite clearly displayed the Switch and Solo symbols only to find at the payment stage that they didn't take the cards. It doesn't instill confidence in the site does it?

oresome 19:23 25 Aug 04

My wife prefers to deal face to face whenever she can.

We decided to book seats at the theatre, so rather than phone, she travelled to town on the bus today and called at the theatre.

There, she was told they couldn't take any bookings, as the computer was down and she should try again tomorrow.

You can't win whichever way you try.

Dorsai 19:49 25 Aug 04

I think that this may be why so many business offer poor customer service. They are the only place offering the service to start with.

But it also shows that you are prepaired to pay extra for good service. The two places you failed to buy from gave a poor service, so you did not buy from them. The third gave a better service, and so you did buy from them. So you did actually pay extra for better service, and did so knowingly.

After all, for those who failed to sell to you on line, you could have waited till 2morra and phoned them up, or posted an order, with a cheque in it, or e-mail them to ask where the problem lies, and paid less.

Tim1964 00:11 26 Aug 04

Ooooh!, Dorsai

I never spotted that, well done. Luckily the price difference was about £1.

Belatucadrus 00:15 26 Aug 04

With regards to the Amazon problem, this sounds like a technical problem with their website rather than a customer service issue. I've been using Amazon for years now and on the occasions when I have required customer service from either UK or US it's always been quick and responsive. I use Ebuyer for their prices, but it must be said their customer service reputation leaves a lot to be desired, great when things work out, less so when problems occur.

Stuartli 10:08 26 Aug 04

Popularly known as Sod's Law or Murphy's Law...:-)

Bit like buying computer systems or components such as a CPU or HDD and finding that the price drops by 10-15 per cent a week later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…