Recycling inkjet cartridges - new poll

PCA ed 11:13 16 Jul 03

HP is to introduce a scheme whereby individual users can return inkjet cartridges for recycling. See click here for details.

I'm interested in your opinions - not where to get cheap cartridges, but what you think of the idea of recycling cartridges and whether you'd participate in a scheme that offers no financial incentive to recycle and might not even pay your postage.

So there's a new poll up on the home page, and if you want to make more detailed comments do so here.

We'll be writing this up in an upcoming issue of PCA so remember to indicate whether you want to be quoted by your real name, your forum name or not at all.

HP hasn't finalised the details of this scheme yet, so it would be good to be able to go back to them with a statistically meaningful response and possibly shape their policy for the UK.

Thanks for your assistance.

-pops- 11:35 16 Jul 03

I'm sure Tesco used to have a recycling scheme. just take your old cartridge and drop it into Customer Services when you get your groceries.

I don't know whether they still do that as my use of inkjet cartridges has dropped to almost nil since acquiring a laser printer - which I do refill myself. The occasional colour photo is about all I print in colour now.

I can't see any recycling scheme being successful if it costs money, even just a stamp, to take part.

Brian

jimv7 12:01 16 Jul 03

Many of the 'refillable' firms already offer £1 back on empty 'new' cartridges and insert a return's envelope with purchases.

Is this a case of HP jumping on the belated bandwagon.

Confab 12:25 16 Jul 03

I have an Epson Stylus 740 and the doesn't seem to be a recycling scheme for my printer carts. I did enquire but was advised to throw them away.

Newuser1241 19:22 16 Jul 03

Scout association and other chatities already partake in such a scheme, where they group all the cartridges together then call in for them to be collected.

typically 50-100p per cartridge is paid out.

Individually not really worth the hassle, but collectively a big yes

There's a bin in our town centre shopping centre. One for old mobiles as well.

powerless 19:54 16 Jul 03

How about liquid filled plastic bags as the container for an ink cartridge?

I just started refilling my cartridges. (lexmark)

Stuartli 20:04 16 Jul 03

I've seen quite a few charities appeal for discarded inkject cartridges - presumably they recceive a sum for each one which has been donated.

accord 20:23 16 Jul 03

i was in staples yesterday and theres a recycle bin there aswell.

i would recycle if there was a refund on the RRP. HP and the others make more money than some 3rd world countries from cartridge sales.

I havent gone down the road of refilling my own as i have seen the state of my fathers hands after he tried to do his, ha ha ha

wee eddie 20:39 16 Jul 03

Sliced bread or whatever

If the value of the cartridge, jess handling charges were to be paid back to the re-cyclee then we should have to invent the

Nano-penny

I have no solution to the problem, but recycling is a waste of scarce resources. The equations do not stack up.

wee eddie 20:41 16 Jul 03

Less is what I meant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…