recovery disc/start up software - worth it?

lennyeggy 12:05 17 Aug 07

click here

I've just seen this software - link above - and for a tenner it will create a start up disc/recovery disc for any windows.
there's also a £20 option with does a lot of other stuff - too much to list here - follow the link and it gives a description.

My PC is a cheap refurbished deal from PC world but it didn't come with a start up disc or recovery software (sorry - the the disc that you can reinstall everything if your PC goes haywire!).

I had the option to create one when I first got the pc but didn't have any discs so said no thinking I'll be able to do it later... nope!

I've posted before about how to create one and got given a link which I downloaded but it doesn't do anything... obviously I'm doing something wrong - this is too complicated for my brain to get round so does anyone think it's worth spending a little bit of money and I'll have a nice simple solution...ie software that does it for me - or ....???? anyone know of a free solution for someone who's not technically minded?

Cheers.

jimv7 12:29 17 Aug 07

You can create a recovery disk with

Norton Ghost click here

Acronis Image click here

Paragon Image click here

Free trial of paragon image click here

lennyeggy 14:52 17 Aug 07

thanks for that - think I'll go for Acronis.

One thing on PC Pro review for this software it says
"you'll still need third-party burning software to back up to DVD".
Does anyone know what third-party burning software would you use... just the standard type???

I have two HD's but if there is a virus or some other issue I have no idea if it would affect both my HD's or just the main one so I would prefer to have seperate back up & restore discs to hand.
Can someone clarify this for me before I buy Acronis

irishrapter 15:04 17 Aug 07

Your computer may have a hidden partition which stores the recovery files.
Check when you are booting your computer, usually its accessed by press f9 or f10, depends on make of computer.

beeuuem 15:31 17 Aug 07

"you'll still need third-party burning software to back up to DVD".
Any DVD burning software should work, Nero, Roxio etc or free versions such as click here

lennyeggy 15:52 17 Aug 07

cool - thanks.

mole44 16:32 17 Aug 07

i backup via Ghost weekly,so reinsalling nooo problem to me,i also keep all my private data on both an external drive and a pen drive and CD.as they say you only loose data once,then you realise about backups,nothing like belt and braces.

mole44 16:32 17 Aug 07

i backup via Ghost weekly,so reinsalling nooo problem to me,i also keep all my private data on both an external drive and a pen drive and CD.as they say you only loose data once,then you realise about backups,nothing like belt and braces.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…