Reconditioned Computers

Murielson 1 14:11 19 Jul 06

Interested in good or bad experiences of members who may have purchased a reconditioned or refurbished PC. Appear to be some bargains out there but I imagine they may well come with some baggage.

Specifically PC World appear to have some good offers at the moment but it is all about taking the chance on a recon system.

They carry the following statement but can't seem to find the level of the warranty:

THIS IS A REFURBISHED PRODUCT AND COMES WITH A FULL 12 MONTHS WARRANTY

Naeris 14:18 19 Jul 06

I have a refurbed laptop that is doing great and I got it for a 1/3 of the retail price.

Mine was not from pcworld, but if you just email them they'll tell you what the warranty covers.

spuds 12:43 20 Jul 06

The important part with reconditioned or second-hand computers is 'Full 12 Months Warranty'.

Read the warranty (PCW will supply a copy on request), and if it appears to cover everything, then you should have no worries (well for at least 12 months, that is).

If and when buying a reconditioned computer, make sure the hard drives as been wiped completely. If it hasn't, then report this as a matter of urgency.

jack 14:20 20 Jul 06

There is refurbished refurbished and reclaimed I suspect.
Larger retailers often have new stuff returned with minor or even no fault and will put it back in the shelf -PCW have been caught out so many times in the past with stuff sold as 'new' when in fact it shows previous owner ship - the No 1 refurbished could one of these - they have at last got around to reloading the device with a clean O/S- a requirement the way M/S lays down its rules of ownership.
Refurbished 2.are factory repairs let out onto the retail marked through surplus dealers i.e. Morgan.
Reclaimed are simply corporate clearouts solder to dealers who sell mail order or at fairs
Simply go for your price and establish the warranty detail.
Such warranty will usually relate the the device/ hardware only not software and no user support.

SG Atlantis® 14:54 20 Jul 06

he's bought his computer...

click here see further down that thread.

Murielson 1 17:10 20 Jul 06

I have indeed and thanks for all the advice - most helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac