Recommended Desktop

JJBuckland 21:52 26 Jul 09

I have had a good look around but have lost touch with the latest technologies, especially when it comes to processors so would like some help in choosing a new pc for university.

My budget is £500 and it will mainly be used to run the adobe CS3 software suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc.). I don’t play PC games but I do a lot of graphics work and will often have 10-20 windows open. Currently, I use Windows XP and have no problems with it so vista/windows 7 is not an absolute must but is preferred.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

OTT_Buzzard 22:28 26 Jul 09

It sounds like you're a big multi-tasker, so quad core is the wqay forward for you. It's a touch over your budget, but the PC below is from Cougar Extreme:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz 12Mb Cache
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 (2 x 2gb)
500GB SATA Hard Drive
ATI 4670 512MB PCI Express DDR DVI
QCE- MSI G31M3 - INT - 1333FSB DDR2 800x2 G31 chipset
DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe
No Floppy Disk Drive
Integrated Sound Card
64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem
13 Month Warranty
Free Carriage

Total: £518.69

The graphics card isn't the worlds greatest, but will do a pretty reasonable job. I've spec'd a 64 bit operating system which should help speed things up for you. Check compatibility with your existing hardware / software.

Thoughts?

OTT_Buzzard 22:28 26 Jul 09
  JJBuckland 22:34 26 Jul 09

Will the software I have runing on my 32 bit system run on a 64 bit system or will I need to buy new software? Mainly the adobe programs im worried about.

OTT_Buzzard 22:52 26 Jul 09

click here

Looks like it will be ok, but i can't find the original source. Searching around on google, there are a lot of people asking the same question and the resounding answer is that it will run on 64 bit.

JJBuckland 22:55 26 Jul 09

Thanks for all the help, does the pc you posted come with the windows 7 upgrade? Also, does cougar extreme have a good reputation as I've never heard of them before?

OTT_Buzzard 23:08 26 Jul 09

Cougar Extreme have a very good reputation and there are several people on this forum who would recommend using them.

I can't find anything on their website about W7 upgrades. Best give them a call to find out.....

JJBuckland 23:10 26 Jul 09

Ok thanks for all the help, one last thing, which CPU did you select? As I the quotes I'm getting for the same spec are cheaper than the one you quoted but im selecting a 650W Power Cool CPU

OTT_Buzzard 23:43 26 Jul 09

Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor

Armchair 08:44 27 Jul 09

If you want something decent, but don't plan to upgrade much, this one might do for you

click here

Okimot 13:22 28 Jul 09

Have just bought a new computer from a local shop with excellent after sales service as I have had a couple of problems. It cost £500 and was built to my specification.
This is
Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower
EZCool 650 Watt PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU
ASUS P5QL/EPU Motherboard
4GB DDR 2 Corsair Dominator 800 MHZ RAM
ATI RADEON HD3870 Graphics card
Seagate 750GB Hard Drive
Pioneer 217 SATA DUAL layer Writer
LG SATA DVD ROM
EXT Floppy disc drive
Windows Vista Home Premium & disc & Licence
USB Mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…