Recommendations for suppliers for self build PC

Daz35 21:41 17 Mar 05

I've decided to have a go at building a PC.

It's my first attempt and the main considerations will be price and service from suppliers.

I know there are lots of self builders on here, so could you recommend suppliers that you have used and were pleased with.

Many thanks

ade.h 22:41 17 Mar 05

I've had good experiences with and (distinct from the similarly named

Lots of people will tell you to steer clear of a particular retailer because they had a bad experience, but I don't really think that there are very many truly awful retailers out there. Plenty of average ones, of course, and some very good ones.

t.long 23:29 17 Mar 05

Most people seem to agree that Novatech are great if - and they mostly do not - go wrong.

Persoanly I have dealt with Novatech, Aria, Overclockers, Ebuyer and Komplett. The only real problem I have has was with Ebuyer and a dodgey RAM and Motherboard combo. But a little patience and a few emails and it was sorted out okay. Komplett were a little slow on the delivery time. I have only used them once so I do not know if this is typical but it took about a week, several days of which was waiting for dispatch. But maybe they had stock issues that were just not reflected in the website.

Some advice, think about what you want to do with your computer, and what sort of hardware you will need. Look at various reviews and make your mind up based on what you are realisticly going to use it for. Theres no point building an Uber 'gaming rig' if you only want to surf the net! Likewise if you want to game its going to cost you.

Perhaps the most important question is Intel or AMD, you will never get a definitive answear on this one. But for office type work the HT equipped P4s are probably your best bet, for games the Anthlon 64 is streets ahead. If its just to surf the net and do the odd bit of word processing you might be better off with a Celeron or Sempron.

Daz35 23:41 17 Mar 05

Thanks for your replies.

I already have a P4 desktop and an AMD athlon laptop, and to be honest don't find much difference in them.

The new PC is just going to be for the kids to use for internet and word processing type applications, and also as a back-up machine for me, so I've no real interest in the latest and fastest processors etc.

I didn't want anything expensive as it is my first attempt and if I mess anything up, the parts will be reasonably cheap. (lots of confidence in myself!!)

ade.h 23:50 17 Mar 05

One other thing that I try to bear in mind is;

make sure you choose products that have good manufacturer support behind them. Check the website of any company whose product your are considering and look at the amount and quality of advice/FAQs that are available. Also consider how easy it is to contact someone by phone or email (preferably in the UK) when you have a technical query or a problem.

I say that based on past experience, both good and bad!

961 09:48 18 Mar 05

Building a first computer comes much easier if you buy a motherboard bundle. This comprises the motherboard with the processor and memory already installed and tested. Installing the processor heatsink and fan onto the motherboard is really about the only place where care is needed in assembly and buying ready assembled removes that problem and, in many cases, ends up no more expensive than buying the separate bits

Novatech is one of the best

Talented Monkey 09:59 18 Mar 05

961 beaet me too it, ive built a few PCs and i prefer to have a motherboard kit prebuilt and tested for me, saves alot of problems i think, particulary if you are a novice. i bought my kits from watford electronics,click here

Daz35 11:36 18 Mar 05

Funnily enough, that was the only bit that was bothering me, so was thinking along the lines of buying a motherboard bundle.

Novatech looks like a really good site for this sort of thing, and I will look at Watford today.

Is there anything I really need to look for when buying a motherboard bundle?

Pegasus. 11:54 18 Mar 05

Check to make sure that any MoBo that You are interested in is What You really want/need
MoBo Manufacturer Data:click here

UK Price Comparison for PC Hardware:click here

Onboard sound is O.K. But if You want good Graphics, get a MoBo that has an 8xAGP Slot & Buy an AGP Graphics Card:
click here

Daz35 12:07 18 Mar 05

Hi Pegasus

Thanks for the links.

At the moment, as this is almost an 'experiment' to see how easy/difficult it is to build, I want to make it the cheapest I can.

It's only gonna be for the kids to mess around on and for occassional back up for me, so I'm not worried about graphics etc.

Keep the advice flowing, as I'm grateful for any advice and links.

Daz35 12:12 18 Mar 05

Further to that, is there a site where you can configure the specs for a mobo and it will come back with the nearest to your choice? (If you see what I mean!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…