recommendations for a printer/scanner/copier

Brumas 13:43 21 Jan 06

As I have treated myself to a new Dell computer, I am thinking of buying a new printer/scanner/copier. I am willing pay up to £120; I have always used Epson or Canon printers and scanners in the past and have always been satisfied. Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

I would prefer separate colour cartridges so I can buy compatible replacements. I don't need anything elaborate or difficult to use, preferring reliablity, speed of printing and scanning quality instead.

Totally-braindead 13:52 21 Jan 06

Epson is my favourite, Canon and HP are both good. Would steer clear of Lexmark, in the past found them not as good build quality as the other three makes and more expensive for cartridges, same can be said of Dell all in ones as I believe they are relabeled Lexmarks in which the cartridges are slightly altered so you have to use Dell cartridges. PCA charts recommends the HP PSC 1610 followed by the HP PSC 1410, £99 and £59 respectively.

rmcqua 14:24 21 Jan 06

I have used most of the major brands of mult-function devices and I completely agree with the preferences expressed by Totally-braindead.

Brumas 16:49 21 Jan 06

I have seen this advertised in PC World priced £79.99 (a saving of £60) and wondered if anyone had any reports (good or bad) about it.

pj123 17:13 21 Jan 06

My only comment on MFDs is that if one part goes wrong it all goes wrong, as a friend of mine found out. His MFD stopped printing. Now he has no printer, no scanner and no copier. I still believe in separate units.

spuds 19:35 21 Jan 06

A little bit more that you intend to spend, but why not consider the Brother MFC584CN, it's got everything, including 5 independent cartridge colours. If you purchase from Viking Direct,they will even give you a free-standing football table for free. Viking click here and key-in Y21-MFC5840CN. If you open a new account at the same time, they will also give you for free a travel bag, if you put the code Y21-PRBPBAG on the order.

At present, I use a Lexmark X5150 and an HP OfficeJet. Both very good and do the job intended, but as stated earlier, the Lexmark can be expensive on cartridges.

Brumas 23:43 22 Jan 06

I bought the EPSON DX4200 - PRINTER, SCANNER & COPIER at PCWorld, which seems to suit my needs. I was just a little annoyed though as it did not come with the USB cable which I had to pay extra for!

Thanks to all who gave their input.

Stuartli 11:37 23 Jan 06

Currys and Dixons both sell the Epson online at £69.99 - the difference would have paid for your USB cable..:-(

So much for PC World's "Stamping down on prices" slogan.....:-)

Mind you apparently it used to be priced at £139.99.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5