Recommendations for a new laptop

DaveG46 14:17 15 Mar 14
Answered

Afternoon all,

I'm donating my current Dell laptop to my dad and need to look for a replacement.

I've got a budget of £1000. Ideally looking for 14"+ (am not too bothered about size and weight as it only going to be used around home)think I wanna go i7, would be used for photoshop & video editing, web browsing, watching films & MS office for work stuff, DVD drive would be good although could look at an external drive

Did look on Dell's website the XPS looks nice (always fancied one) but looking at £1200

had a look at these so far

click here

Don't really know much about them but how important would a SSD hard drive be? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-14-7437/pd?oc=cn74307&model_id=inspiron-14-7437

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FSBFBD2/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

imendpc 08:56 16 Mar 14

As a general rule of thumb when working to a budget get the most powerful CPU you can afford balanced with money spent on I/O (input and output). I/Os in order of speed is CPU cache, RAM, SSD plus disk cache, then the hard disk platters. As video editing is CPU intensive, with a healthy amount of RAM, the amount of practical speed difference for SSD or hard disk I/O is less important, if important at all. Moreover note that video I/Os tend to be sequential rather than random.

Forum Editor 19:03 16 Mar 14
Answer

All other things being equal, an SSD drive has several advantages. It has no moving parts to wear out, is much lighter, shock-proof,very reliable,silent, and requires less energy to run - less heat being generated is a big plus.

Solid state drives have lightning access times, and will knock the socks off Hard disk drives in that respect. They also have a very long life expectancy.

There is no doubt that if you can afford it a Solid State Drive is the better choice by far where general Operating system and program computing tasks are concerned.

That said, there are other considerations when it comes to video editing. As has already been pointed out, CPU performance is critical, and as video rendering depends heavily on sequential read/write operations you would probably be better advised to use a RAID0 hard disk drive configuration. Otherwise, if the budget permits, you could run one SSD for your O/S and programs and another one for your video project.

Like a lot of other things in life, it all comes down to money in the end.

DaveG46 08:19 20 Mar 14

Thanks for advice

Think am swaying more to the Lenovo, I've also seen a model with an Hybrid HDD/SSD (8GB) which also has a bluray drive, and is still under my budget.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…