Recommendations Ext. DVD-writer & Ext. HD

GroupFC 12:44 28 Dec 04

I need some advice - Santa didn't bring what I wanted so I'm going to have to treat myself!

I want to get an external DVD-writer and an external HD (firewire and/or USB 2.0). I have been looking on as many sites as I can find but I just end up very confused (no change there then!!) - so I thought I would seek advice here!

Does anybody have any advice and/or recommendations for me for a total budget of £200- £250?

Whilst your at it, "she who must be obeyed" was also not very happy with Santa (there must be a moral there somewhere!). Does anybody have any comments or advice for a DVD recorder/VCR combi as I expect that if I get what I want she will have to, too!

As usual, all advice and comments will be very much appreciated. TIA

byfordr 14:04 29 Dec 04

I've got both LACIE and MAXTOR external 250gb drives.

Both perform well, if any thing prefer the Maxtor as it has both USB2 and Firewire - handy for connectivity (Firewire seemingly using less system resources) £125 USB2 250gb Maxtor £145 Firewire and USB2

Have a trawl through click here click here click here click here for best prices.

Not sure about the external copiers as the only ones I've come across are the ones at work (lacie I think)

HTH

R

GroupFC 15:57 29 Dec 04

Thanks for that - I have just about made my mind up on getting a Maxtor - I'll have a trawl through your links when i get home tonight.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:48 29 Dec 04

You cvan pick up a decent (pioneer or Benq) external DVD 16x writer for about £40 and PCW are selling an external HD (freecom IIRC) for £59. These will be more than admirable (you are unlikely to ever use anyhting near 250gb). You do not need to worry about firewire as USB2 will be more than enough. You will also save over £100. Sainsbury's are flogging DVD recorders for £99 but not combos....however you can pick up a new Video recorder for less than £20 and still be well within your budget.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:49 29 Dec 04

ps.....the HD is 60Gb. ;-))))

G

GroupFC 22:54 29 Dec 04

Thanks you - I had looked in PCW at the Freecom but thought I might need to get bigger one! Maybe I'll just get that.

"You cvan pick up a decent (pioneer or Benq) external DVD 16x writer for about £40", I haven't seen any external DVD writers at this price point. Can you possibly point me in the right direction?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:03 29 Dec 04

click here have them for £39 PCW have them for £40ish....however I have just noticed that you need an external (oops)....you can buy a case for around £20 off ebay or you could fit the drive in your pc if you have a spare front slot. (ebuyer are flogging caddys for £22.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…