Recommend a DVD Writer

mikeyb59 15:23 01 Oct 03

I would like to transfer some airshow videos to DVD and would like suggestions of which DVD writer to buy.

Looking for something reliable & not too expensive.

Also will the format be an issue?

TIA Mike

Hyperangelic 15:54 01 Oct 03

The NEC ND-1300 seems to be a good combi drive. It takes + and - DVDs, which makes life a lot easier. I've had no trouble with mine. It's rebadged under numerous other names including Verbatim.

The main thing with the drive is to steer clear of cheapy brands - it's very little more for a decent brand, and in general you get much better product and better service.

Your next issue will be what DVD-authoring software to buy... and what capture card to use. I leave the field open on those ones...

Stuartli 16:01 01 Oct 03

My son got the Pioneer 106 DVD rewriter (£128 from BigPockets) and has so far been very happy with it.

mikeyb59 16:06 01 Oct 03

Ah, capture card & software - hadn't thought of that. D'OH!

All suggestions welcome

mikeyb59 16:08 01 Oct 03

One other thing - regarding format +/- etc. Is there a preference for playing in a standalone DVD player?

Don't wish to bore you all but this a new area for me!

mikeyb59 16:53 01 Oct 03

If I fit a DVD drive should I replace my DVD-ROM drive so I can keep my 52x CD/RW drive?

mark500 17:17 01 Oct 03

DVD-R is supposed to be compatible with about 99% of all home players.

click here To check if your player is compatible.

click here Here are some drives supplied from a reputable company whom I have dealt with countless times and always found to be reliable and cheap. The NEC1300 on this site is the cheapest I have seen although it is the OEM version. It does come with Firmware 1.06 which does allow cheap princo media to be written.

mikeyb59 19:37 01 Oct 03

The Pioneer looks good. Any more before I tick and do my own thing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…