Recomend a TFT monitor?

Inigo 11:57 29 Aug 03

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a new TFT monitor, as the old 14" CRT I have hooked up to my computer atm is getting on a bit...

I'm wanting a fairly high-spec monitor, but a minimalist one - so no built-in speakers, etc. I'm after a duel-hinge and duel-input (VGA and DVI) monitor, with good values of brightness, contrast ratio, and response time. Preferably nice-looking too.

I'm unsure about whether to go for a 15" or a 17" - I could probably do with using a higer resolution for some programs, like Adobe Illustrator etc.

Has anyone got any recomendations?

Thanks,
Mike Peel

Q-Bie 14:12 29 Aug 03

Personally, I've always found iiyama TFT's to be one of the best. I recently spashed out and purchased a 17" TFT (Prolite 430) and have been throughly pleased with it. Colour reproduction is excellent, 25ms response time makes gaming a dream. Monitors native resolution is 1280x1024, I do a lot of web development and image design and find that with Dreamweaver and Paint Shop Pro I have more screen real estate than I know what to do with!

All my friends have iiyama TFT's as well, and we all agree you can't beat em ;)

click here

mole44 14:43 29 Aug 03

wait a while there are some new monitors comming out picture like VDU with the flatness of TFT and cheaper than a TFT

Inigo 14:47 29 Aug 03

When will they be coming out, do you know?

Chris the Ancient 19:03 29 Aug 03

I got myself one of these. Then, so did my friend. We both love it.

click here

Slim, smooth, no bolt on goodies, no dead pixels, great service, etc. etc.

HTH Chris

SonnyB 21:37 29 Aug 03

If anyone is after a really good deal on a tft monitor go to Staples they are selling a Cybercom 18.1" for less the price of most 17" ones, ie £299.98. If you have a student discount card you will get another 10% off! I got mine for £269.10!
It has an excellent spec. and is far better than the Curry's, Comet, Dixon's offerings.

Inigo 10:13 30 Aug 03

Nice price. However, I've been unable to find it on Staple's website, and comments about it are pretty scarce... Do you have any detailed info about it, such as which inputs it has, what the refresh rate etc. is?

SonnyB 10:23 30 Aug 03

Its res is 1280x1024
refresh 75hz
Video input is via 15 wired SUB-D connector
Audio output (two built-in speakers)

I did a lot of research before spending and it is as good as any on the market for the price even though it seems to have been overlooked as far as reviews etc go.
It is still stocked at my local Staples (Loughborough).

Inigo 10:27 30 Aug 03

No DVI connection? How's the response time, candela, and contast ratio?

SonnyB 11:44 30 Aug 03

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is a DVI connection?
As for the other three items you mention, I don't know but it looks fine to me!

Inigo 17:46 30 Aug 03

DVI's basically a digital connector from your graphics card to your monitor. The graphics card works in digital, but has to convert it to analogue to output to a CRT monitor. As TFT monitors are digital, you get the best results if you don't convert to analogue and back - this's a DVI connection.

A quick run-through of the others I mentioned:

Response time: how quickly the monitor reacts to data sent from the graphics card

Candela: how bright the monitor is (this determines what conditions it can be used in, as a screen which isn't very bright gets overwelmed by sunlight, for example)

Contrast ratio: how much difference there is between white and black on the screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…