Received a Tiscali email about "fair usage"

Jimmy14 22:11 16 Jun 06

Today I received an email from the Tiscali Broadband team stating that my internet usage has been exceptionally high during peak periods and it is starting to affect the services provided to other customers. I was kind of shocked to receive it. I have not been instructed to
* Do not download large files during peak periods
* Do not use Peer-to-Peer file software during peak periods.
* Try and keep email use and internet browsing between peak periods.

If I don't stick to these rules they will start to manage my usage. I think it is silly to tell me this when I pay £18 a month for 2mb unlimited Broadband to be setting rules on me so if they do start to manage my usage then their service will be getting cancelled. Has anyone else experienced this and received an email in the same context as I did???

Forum Editor 22:22 16 Jun 06

and are only sent in exceptional circumstances, but they do get sent.

If you are in the habit of downloading films and/or MP3 music files via Peer to Peer servers you may well exceed what is considered to be a fair amount of bandwidth. This will impact on other people who are connected to the internet via the same 'gateway' as you; in effect, you'll be a bandwidth hog, and your ISP will take steps to stop you. They'll do this by warning you, then by charging you for the excess, and finally (in extreme cases) by disconnecting you altogether. "Unlimited" in this context does not mean "without any controls whatsoever" if you aren't playing fair.

Apart from hogging bandwidth, if you're downloading copyright-protected music/games/software/films via P2P sites you are also breaking the law, and in some circumstances you may find that Tiscali will report you to the relevant authorities - you could conceivably be prosecuted, and face a large fine.

Don't ignore Tiscali's warning - they mean business, and they will act to stop you if you carry on.

LinH 22:24 16 Jun 06

This is all about contention ratios and you are obviously hogging bandwidth for an excessive amount of time during peak periods.

This does happen unfortunately and the answer is to do your downloading 'off peak'. This will benefit you too as your download speeds will be significantly better than at a time of high demand.

Also, why on earth are you paying Tiscali £18 for 2mb unlimited? It's now £14.99.

Totally-braindead 22:32 16 Jun 06

I have to agree with the FE here. A couple of years ago there were a few people taking a huge slice of the bandwidth, Tiscali warned them, the majority of them ignored it and their accounts were cancelled.
At the time these people were removed my connection speed increased quite a bit becuase of these high users being removed.
The only thing I can say is you must be using the internet rather a lot for them to have taken this step.
I know this is meant to be 2mb unlimited but the unlimited aspect of it is what constitutes a reasonable amount. Obviously Tiscali believe that the amount you use the internet is extremely high and will be effecting others or they wouldn't send this email.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:34 16 Jun 06

may one enquire as to how much per month you were downloading?

G

Jimmy14 22:41 16 Jun 06

I don't use peer-to-peers. I use I-tunes regularly for my i-pod. Just over the past few weeks though I have downloaded Office 2007 beta 2, vista 32 and 64 bit the other day and my music and videos from I-tunes every month. I also download free software from specific sites e.g download.com and file hippo. By the way does downloading updates every day for software count as download usage???

Newuser38 22:47 16 Jun 06

I also had the warning after I had downloaded Vista and Office 2007 I did Vista twice because it failed after one download. I have never downloaded anything else. I assumed it was that which caused my warning. Unfortunately I cannot check what useage I had on the dates concerned because their download monitor seems to be a week behind.

wee eddie 23:04 16 Jun 06

A quick question.

When do you find time to use all these things that you have downloaded?

Jimmy14 23:08 16 Jun 06

Office 2007 beta, for presentations , word for letters and excel for spreadsheets for my accounts and I fit these tasks in mostly at night. Vista I fit in for testing on my days off during the day

wee eddie 23:50 16 Jun 06

How do you find time to use all these things that you download.

Sometimes it takes me 10 or more hours to set-up and hone a presentation. One took me more than two weeks (admittedly not continuous work) others have only taken 5-6 hours for a 1 hour talk. Admittedly, then repeated several times so I got my money's worth.

Then there's all that music and videos you mention, and the free software!

"I use I-tunes regularly for my i-pod. Just over the past few weeks though I have downloaded Office 2007 beta 2, vista 32 and 64 bit the other day and my music and videos from I-tunes every month. I also download free software from specific sites e.g download.com and file hippo. By the way does downloading updates every day for software count as download usage???"

spuds 00:14 17 Jun 06

As previously stated, Tiscali adopted a similar warning about two years ago, and a number of heavy users were disconnected.

I use Tiscali 2MB service (£17.99pm)and at certain times of the day its like cold treacle, and it appears to be getting worse.So perhaps Tiscali are having many complaints and are now taking action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…