//some 3rd party need geo

A RAM and graphics query

Willow12 01:17 17 Jun 06

2 separate questions

1. I am buying this monitor click here as part of a new PC package. I was also going to go for the intergrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950. Will these graphics run this higher spec monitor or do I need to upgrade to a 128MB ATI Radeon® X300 SE HyperMemory graphics card? I am not using the PC for gaming but for multi-tabling online poker. Therefore no fast moving images to contain, I just need a clear crisp image when used at its max 1600 X 1200 resolution.

2. My current crappy PC has 512MB RAM and I was going to buy just the next stage up, 1024MB. I like to run quite a few apps at once when playing poker, is this enough or do I really need 2GB or is this overkill. For what it is worth I am buying the Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache) which may make the extra memory less needed.

powerless 10:39 17 Jun 06

*Up to 2048x1536 resolution for both analog and digital displays* click here

This is a shared memory job, so it will use your system memory as and when it needs it. Depends on what you're doing, but from what you describe, you ain't going to push it to its limits.

Personally I'd go for the x300 with its dedicated 128MB of memory...then it won't touch the system memory at all.

1GB of memory on XP is a def. YES! XP will love it and combined with that dual core you'll have a nice system.

If the 2GB is going cheap then you might as well, but 1GB is fine.

Mavericke 10:43 17 Jun 06

Mate, with such a good TFT monitor, I would think that it would be wise for you to get a better graphic card like the ATI Radeon X1600. The X300 might not be suitable for such a high quality TFT monitor.

DieSse 11:58 17 Jun 06

The 950 graphics will run this monitor just fine - quality of image doesn't enter into it.

If you're not into gaming the 950 will cope with your applications fine too.

There's an awful lot of hype associated with graphics cards - the 950 integrated chip is absolutely OK for everyday graphics - though it uses system RAM, you have plenty of it, and it'll cope admirably.

Willow12 12:52 17 Jun 06

Thanks guys

As a general point are there any issues with DualCore with some programs written before multi-core came in and have not updated. I have heard from an unreliable source that there can be problems with some software but do not know what to make of it. Surely a DualCore by design should not be in any way worse than a single core?

Willow12

vinnyT 16:27 17 Jun 06

There were some issues with amds x2 range with some games running slower, until a workaround was issued (and sorted it). This was, I think, due to the games getting confused over which core should be doing the work, the workaround was to ensure that the game ran using only one core.

So, I guess the above would also apply to core duo (intels). Whether or not it applied/s to 'normal' sware I really don't know.

Really I don't think there is a serius prob, I'm sure I would have read about it somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Willow12 18:49 17 Jun 06

Is AMD Athlon's Duo Core? If so I should be OK with Intel, yes?

Willow12 01:08 18 Jun 06

Thanks guys and especially powerless. I followed your lead exactly and got the X300 graphics card and 1 GB of RAM. I stepped up the processor a little as well to the 3GHz model so will now wait and see if it is as good as I hope it will be.

Willow12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…