Radical computer change predicted for 2004.

TOPCAT® 14:26 05 Jan 04

And here is me about to get a new one that has upgrade potential built in. :o( Should I wait for the new BFX format guys, or not? Your thoughts would be most welcome. TC.

click here

961 15:20 05 Jan 04

Funnily enough, in replying to someone who was seeking to build an up to date computer, I suggested that this was a good time to wait a while.

I know that the stock answer has always been that there is no point in waiting because anything you build is obsolete in 6 months.

But now I think you can see that, particularly with AMD who have had a stable architecture for quite a long time, basic change is on the way

It also seems to me that software designers are waiting to see how 64bit settles down, as it does appear that software for new AMD and Intel processors will be different. That is my reading of news stories and I just cannot see that sort of situation lasting for long

It's going to be an interesting year, and for anyone seeking to build or buy a computer I can't help but feel that if you do it now you will be wanting to do it again in 18 months

carver 15:56 05 Jan 04

I shouldn't bother unless its a very cheap P/C, I upgraded my P/C 5 months ago and on the advice of a friend got the least expensive components. He showed me an article in a science mag about AGP slot's being redundant in mid 2004 I'm glad I took his advice, I didn't realize at the time that even the case I've got will be no good. Pity the people who have just spent a small fortune on the latest graphic card and mobo.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:04 05 Jan 04

Will this affect the speed of Minesweeper or opening Word? ;-))

G

TOPCAT® 16:04 05 Jan 04

My current PC is around five years old and beginning to creak a bit, just like me. :o)) I've held off purchasing new, as 2003 saw some remarkable advances appearing seemingly every few weeks. I agree that six months is an awful long time in the computer industry!

The above article has made me pause to reconsider my options. Primarily, because my next PC was intended to last me quite a while too, with only the occasional upgrade done as funds permit. I now reckon my upgrade options will be rather limited to what will fit to the ATX style motherboard. The forthcoming BFX 'board will not be compatible with an ATX case either, thereby keeping to the current trend when a new format is announced. TC.

TOPCAT® 16:11 05 Jan 04

Surely, you know the whole computer industry is a minefield? So, Minesweeper should take off with a bang when the new stuff comes about!!:o)) For the opening Word, might I suggest attending a seminar with BG? TC.

Forum Editor 16:48 05 Jan 04

- currently called Longhorn, and soon to enter its beta stage - is launched it will make a big thing of digital rights. We'll all start hearing more and more about digital rights over the next year, and my guess is that Intel will be incorporating all kinds of things into motherboard and CPUs over the next couple of years. They've been working with Microsoft on this for quite a while, and there will be some changes in the way new motherboards/CPUs interact with Longhorn.

TBH1 17:06 05 Jan 04

the best time to buy a PC is when you need one - - - there is always something 'better' round the corner. My p3 became 'obsolete' years ago - - -but it does me.
Just my 2 penneth.

powerless 19:05 05 Jan 04

Including........No BIOS */GASP\*

powerless 19:05 05 Jan 04

...as it is now.

PurplePenny 21:07 05 Jan 04

I've been intending to build Kev a new games cube PC. I've been going back and forth in my mind between a cheaper, lower spec option which can't be upgraded and a mid-spec mid-price one that can be upgraded as funds allow.

Now I'm thinking that I shouldn't bother with either but sit back and see what happens. Maybe I'll just get a new graphics card for my poor (nearly 6 year) old workhorse ...

I'm depressed ... I want to build a new machine ....

Penny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…