Radeon cards, which one to go for?

Shorty 12:59 15 Dec 03

I am looking at upgrading my GeForce 2mx card to a Radeon at Chrismas, I have a budget up to £150. I am trying to get my head around which card is best having seen a Radeon 9600, 9600 pro, 9600se, 9600xt. Also I have seen an 'All In Wonder' 9800se on Dabs at £160, is there a catch here?

Also at what level does a graphics card match the next level up i.e. is (for instance) a 9600pro equivalent to a basic 9700?

My system Windows Me, 384mb ram, 1ghz Athlon

Your advice would be appricated as I am confused :o)

Gaz 25 18:50 15 Dec 03

But sketch out for a 9800xt PRO if you can.

simonp1 08:53 16 Dec 03

Yes it can be very confussing, but unless you play at lot of online games the 9800se will be find, you can also over clock it as well, this link will show you a site with the card for £140. click here

It gives many other options, this link will give you good advice on cards. The 9800se will be fine.

click here

citadel 18:28 16 Dec 03

You should be able to get a 9700pro for that price, it is not much slower than the new card. Your processor will not be fast enough to get top range cards going at full blast. you need at least a 2.4 processor for that. You should still get %150 increase in performance from what you have now.

Q-Bie 18:31 16 Dec 03

9600 is the new model of the 9500

9800 is the new model of the 9700

The new/old models both have advantages and disadvantages in various benchmarks but overall theres not much difference. Myself I have a Radeon 9600 Pro which I've had for about 3 months and am very impressed with it.

By the way, has anyone else seen how nVidia are now making "XT" card? Except their XTs are the low end cards, as opposed to ATI's who are their high end. I wonder how many people that will catch out?

Shorty 14:08 17 Dec 03

It seems that I am looking in the right ball park for the cards. I think I will be looking at 9600 Pro or XT, and depending if there are any xmas/new year bargains possibly a 9700/9800.
Simonp1 - Online games, my reactions are far too slow for such dalliance
Citadel - Yes, the next upgrade for me will be Mobo/processor/RAM - ho hum the never-ending cycle of upgrading
Q-bie - 9600pro sounds good and yes I had noticed that the nVidia XT was not what you may think. Going back to my original post, no wonder I am confused. Must be the age.

Thanks everyone for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…