Radeon 9800 Pro - Good Price!

phoenix198 09:26 03 Apr 04

Overclockers.co.uk have a one week special price on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR DVI/TV-Out - OEM click here

Nor sure when the 'this week only' offer ends but its an excellent price, and I've just ordered one.

IanR_ 10:12 03 Apr 04

they are showing no stock.... :(

phoenix198 15:01 03 Apr 04

I must have just caught the last day of the offer - the weekly special is now an Antec PSU <sigh>

Rayuk 15:50 03 Apr 04

And for this weekend only at
click here

Totally-braindead 20:34 03 Apr 04

And at click here
£135.07.
I was one of the lucky ones at Overclockers, got one of their 9800s worked out at £136 including Royal Mail Special Delivery

skell 12:16 06 Apr 04

the last price ive seen on that card was over £200. Is this right more than £60 saving?

phoenix198 17:49 06 Apr 04

Card arrived today and, as expected, came soft wrapped in a padded jiffy bag. It is a "bare" ATi reference card (red pcb) with no drivers/utilities CD included, but it does come with TV-out cables, a Y splitter power cable and a DVi to VGA adapter. Haven't installed it yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Total2004 18:02 06 Apr 04

My card arrived this morning. The problem is I havent installed a card like this before and I wondered if someone could tell me how.

Failing that is there a website you would recommend?

Thanks

Rayuk 18:12 06 Apr 04

Download the latest ATI drivers from here
click here

Uninstal your current drivers even if you already use an ATI card.Shut down.

Remove your graphics card and instal your new one.

Reboot and instal your new drivers.

Total2004 18:22 06 Apr 04

Thanks Rayuk.

I was wondering about the two power cables that come off the card. Do I connect both of these up or just one?

phoenix198 22:34 06 Apr 04

The power cable off the back of the card is intended as a 'pass-through' cable, but if you have a 'free' four pin molex connector (the type that plugs into the back of your hard drive and optical drives) you can simply connect it to the cable off of the back of the graphics card and tuck the other end of the splitter cable out of the way or better yet, secure it to the connected end with a cable tie.

If there isn't a 'free' molex connector in your computer (and shame on the manufacturer if there isn't), you need to disconnect one from the back of a hard drive or optical drive, plug that into the Radeon's power cable, and plug the other 'leg' of the cable into the hard drive.

Don't worry, you shouldn't be able to misconnect them because the Radeon cable has one male and one female connector, and the molex connectors are shaped to prevent you connecting them 'upside down' - although its worth just checking that you do connect them with the yellow wires on the same side before you apply too much 'muscle'!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…