A "heads-up" for people looking to buy a large format printer

HondaMan 11:57 13 Dec 13
Answered

I try not to be overly critical on this forum as I have no wish to annoy FE who, despite his apparent cavalier attitude at times, really does a very good job, but recently, I have been left gob-smacked by Epson.

I would draw readers' attention to Epson WF-7525 Review on Amazon

Mr Mistoffelees 14:16 13 Dec 13

There is updated software available on the Epson website, including a driver dated 19/11/2013.

Woolwell 15:52 13 Dec 13

There are other reviews on Amazon which paint a different and much better picture.

morddwyd 18:48 13 Dec 13

I have the 7515, (only one paper tray), and have found it a very good printer.

I use it to copy my wife's original art work, and the colour rendition pleases even her artist's eye, except for some minor deviation in green hues (not noticeable to me).

I would recommend it.

HondaMan 20:19 13 Dec 13

My complaint is not about the printer itself, but the whole package. The software is so unfriendly. If you use the facilities on the front panel it's great. I bought this printer because I needed A3+, but I fear I have wasted my money. epson reallky couldn't care less.

When I wrote to them, their reply was:- The bonus software supplied with your product is produced by a third party company and for this reason we do not have stock or licensing rights for these software packages. We would recommend that you uninstall and reinstall Presto Page Manager, if this has no effect then we would recommend that you contact the publisher of the software which in this case is NewSoft.

Forum Editor 20:36 13 Dec 13

In fairness, out of ten reviews on the Amazon page, five of them give a five star rating and three of them award four stars.

The third-party software seems to be the issue, and Epson did suggest an a possible solution. Did you try it?

morddwyd 07:47 15 Dec 13

Simple solution to problems with bonus software is not to install it!

I never do, and never have done.

Most things, be they printers, drives or what have you run perfectly well without it.

I tried Presto Page Manager once, never again!

Nobody gives away half decent, up-to-date software.

Woolwell 15:23 15 Dec 13

HondaMan- I'm not really sure what your problem is. If you use the driver software (which is fairly standard for all Epson printers) then you can choose to print A3+ from your computer. Do you need Presto Page Manager for OCR?

HondaMan 12:12 16 Dec 13

OK. My final word. Thius is the response I got from Epson which I think shows a very caring attitude (not)

"I am sorry you are unhappy with your Epson product and have had cause for complaint. It is never our intention to disappoint customers in any way and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. We value the comments that you have made and I would like to thank you for bringing them to our attention."

Woolwell 14:01 16 Dec 13

What else do you expect? Does your printer work? Is your problem just with the third party soft-ware? I really don't see a problem with their reply.

iscanut2 15:34 16 Dec 13
Answer

I agree with morddwyd, bonus software with printers, cameras, etc is usually poor and should just be ignored as it's the device you are buying, not software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…