Question re: Student Edition of Microsoft Office

Andybear 11:36 11 Oct 05

I'm about to embark on an Open University Degree in Humanities, starting November. I'll still be working full time while I'm doing it. Will I be eligible to buy the "Office 2003 Standard for Student & Teacher Edition"? Amazon are selling it for £89.97, which is a great price and has everything I'm likely to need on it.

DieSse 11:47 11 Oct 05

Yes.

Andybear 11:47 11 Oct 05

Thank you.

Belatucadrus 11:48 11 Oct 05

"Eligibility for student licence Students: Full or part-time student aged five or over enrolled on a course that will deliver an academic qualification publicly recognised by the Department for Education & Skills (DfES) or the Irish Department of Education (DOE)"

Which would indicate that you qualify, but I just got through HND computing using Star & Openoffice click here ( With the exception of the Access database work ) The new release candidate 2 of OpenOffice is extremely good and when you consider it's free, it's just amazing.

Andybear 12:28 11 Oct 05

The OU supply StarOffice as part of the course material in case you don't already have an office suite installed on your PC. However, I use MS Office at work and have an older version of Word on my home PC and don't particularly want to learn another office programme if it can be avoided. I will consider it though. Thanks.

ajm 13:37 11 Oct 05

go to click here and enter 961787 in the search field. the software is also £89.97 and you can reserve it online and choose collect at store. you chose what store you wish to collect from and the software is resevered for you at the web price and you collect from your store straightaway.

Andybear 13:41 11 Oct 05

Thanks but I can't drive and, although my nearest PC World is only about 8 miles away, it's not accessible by public transport. I wish they had them in town centres! :-)

plsndrs3 13:45 11 Oct 05

Personally, I'd accept the free Star Office from the OU.

I was one of the lucky ones to be chosen by PC Advisor to test Star Office 6 [SO6]. I didn't have high hopes as I have used MS Office for the past 15 years.

However, it was an eye opener. SO6 is VERY similar & we were set tasks to accomplish which I managed without any undue issues. SO6 is smaller when installed on the PC than MS Office [I think something like 80MB/140MB] and you can save files in SO6 to that can be opened in MSO. You can also open MS Office documents in SO6.

A very good progam. So good, in fact, that I have removed MS & now use SO6 exclusively. I have never truly noticed much of a difference!

HTH

Paul

Andybear 16:49 11 Oct 05

Thank you. I probably will do now. I've heard other good reviews about it as well and it'll save me a bob or two :-)

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Andrea

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…