Question re: returns

Quirkafleeg 17:49 16 Mar 06

Hello

Iv'e done a search, and can't find a specific answer, so will have to throw myself on the mercy of you guys.

Basically, i brought a new keyboard and mouse combo from PC world today, for my dear old mom. Unfortunately, having opened, installed, and her having used it for a while, she has started to get wrist pains. My own daft fault really, as it is a different shaped mouse to the small one she is used to, so I guess I will have to take the hit.

The question is tho, my search brought up the 7 day return option under distance selling act - It seems you can return things without a reason under that, so i wondered why it differs for shop brought items?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

pcw Manager!!??! 18:25 16 Mar 06

The Distance selling act (I believe) is in place to protect you from mis-selling or "dodgy Dealers" as you would not have been able to inspect the goods before buying them. If you purchased an item in store it would reasonable to assume you had chance to look at the product before your paid for it, therefore establishing if it was suitable or not. However, (at store discretion) you may find a manager would be prepared to exchange the goods if:
They were returned within a short time period and also in pristine re-saleable condition. If the product is old and shows sign of wear it is unlikely a return would be offered. This is simply because no one would want to buy a used mouse and keyboard in a crumpled box. Hope this helps and you find a more suitable set soon!

SG Atlantis® 18:47 16 Mar 06

Yes it differs. You can't expect a high street store to take items back just because you've changed your mind.

But I'm sure if you can package it up to the way it was when you got it and explained why you're bringing it back to PCW they should be helpful. I have exchanged things before, telling them they where just unsuitable and it's been fine.

Quirkafleeg 19:04 16 Mar 06

Thanks for your responses

I agree that you can't just change your mind about items and take them back - there would be anarchy!.

As there was no test item on display, and I'm to shy to ask,just took a flyer. No quibbles with the quality - just don't want to give my mom RSI!!

SG Atlantis® 19:15 16 Mar 06

As I said they are usually very decent with exchanges. Just ask...

Stuartli 19:18 16 Mar 06

I operate my mouse on a "bed" of five or six old mouse mats.

It prevents your wrist being too flat when using the mouse and thus causing strains.

Might save your day...:-)

spuds 19:45 16 Mar 06

Places like Staples,Argos and a number of other stores have a 'no quibble' returns policy, PCWorld do not.I have found that PCWorld will exchange certain items, under certain conditions, if the store as a understanding and sympathetic manager.Take the items back,with your mum if possible. She can then choose for herself, as to the type most suitable.

As previously pointed out, the Distance Selling Regulations were designed for the consumer who found 'shopping at a distance' more desirable.

If you want the full article on the Consumer (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 click here

Quirkafleeg 19:46 16 Mar 06

Thanks all - very helpful as always

oresome 20:42 16 Mar 06

As a general rule, always carefully unpack goods.

The retailer will be much more sympathetic if the item and its packaging are as new and can be resold without too much mark down.

ajm 21:45 16 Mar 06

what branch of the pc world did you buy it from?

Quirkafleeg 21:49 16 Mar 06

I actually purchased it from the Solihull branch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac