I am currently searching for a new PC.

Key specs required are:-

Athlon 3gb +
256mb - 5600 GEforce graphics
1gb ram
TFT monitor
& future proof other specs.
(Essentialy a gamer system)

I am looking for some advice as to who to buy from. I am looking to spend c. £1,400. & have found the right PCs at a number of sites including:-
Mesh
Holly Computers
Demonite
etc.

Can you let me know the following -
1/. Any advice on the companies listed
2/. Any other suppliers you would recommend (I'm not looking for self build or the local PC shop - I want a reputable firm who are going to be around in a few years).

I'm not new to computers, and I understand the need to make the right decision in the first instance - as its a lot of money to dish out for a system that doesn't deliver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(& please I would appreciate compliments as well as critisicsm of suppliers).

MichelleC 18:01 12 Nov 03

The Computer World isn't too bad, but pay extra to get the best aftersales warranty.

Diodorus Siculus 18:14 12 Nov 03

My suggestion is that you find what seems to be the best specification for your money (bearing in mind what you will use the PC for) and then go with that retailer. Evesham, Mesh, Multivision, Holly etc all have good quality machines but occasionally do make a mistake / create a dud machine and then get a bad name on these pages.

But for every dissatisfied customer there must be hundreds who are satisfied - otherwise the company would be out of business. Personally I found that Multivision gave me a good deal and I am pleased to recommend them to any who ask.

Unless you are a real hardcore gamer, then I would advise not going for a top of the range graphics card - it will have dropped considerably in price by the time that a game appears that needs that spec.

961 19:51 12 Nov 03

It really is all down to service if it goes pear shaped

Spend half an hour at...

click here?

961 19:54 12 Nov 03

sorry, try

click here?

961 19:57 12 Nov 03

No

Not working

Link is to www.

romulus2.com/feedback chart.php?

enter that as address including question mark at end

961 20:01 12 Nov 03

Still not connecting

Correct address
www.
romulus2.com/feedback/chart.php?

This gives reviews of suppliers of computers in UK with ratings from recent buyers

art42 21:25 12 Nov 03

the main reason to buy a computer from any of the main manufacturers is for the after sale service and warranty, check out forums such as this one before you decide, if you can find anyone that is satisfid with Mesh after sales they will be in the minority,my mesh ceased to function on the 10.10.03 they still have it I still dont know when its comming back and i paid extra for an on site warranty.

fairfax 23:06 12 Nov 03

I am also looking round for new pc and noise level is crucial as my present one ( 18 month old Evesham)is pretty noisy and can drive me almost mad after a long session (in spite of having the fan replaced). I notice that in the specs for new pc's noise level is never mentioned and in most cases one can't see /hear the machine in operation to get a good idea. Any suggestions for quiet pc's?

jockym 23:36 12 Nov 03

fairfax
I cannot believe that you are contemplating replacing an 18 month machine because of the background noise level - invest in some earplugs
lol. Cheers the noo Jockym

Mike574 04:02 13 Nov 03

Try click here they seem to do good systems for gamers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…