programme for Magasine publish/design required

charming! 14:31 03 Feb 06

Hi there, i am desperately trying to find software that i can use to design my own magasine. I have looked at some sites but it is all double dutch to me!! Does anyone know of some good packages that allow you to design and create magasine pages, inport scanned images into them, alter graphics/borders etc. One that is not expensive!! i have windows xp on the comp.

Diodorus Siculus 14:58 03 Feb 06

MS Publisher will do a very good job on making a basic A4 / A3 based magazine. It keeps everything together and logical and is worth a look.

pj123 15:36 03 Feb 06

Agree with Diodorus Siculus. I use MS Publisher, which comes with the MS Office suite.

I also use Serif Page Plus if it needs to go to an outside printer.

I am using Serif Page Plus 7 but they usually allow you to download earlier versions for free.

The earlier versions also appear regularly on PC magazine cover disks.

The free Serif download site doesn't seem to be working at the moment but you could try it later.

It is: click here

Diodorus Siculus 15:53 03 Feb 06

Further to pj123, MSPublisher can be purchased as a standalone program.

Belatucadrus 16:51 03 Feb 06

click here Pageplus SE

click here RagTime Solo, both free.

pj123 17:39 03 Feb 06

The free Serif site seems to working OK now.

Forum Editor 18:06 03 Feb 06

for most desktop publishing situations, and if your magazine is a fairly simple affair I recommend that you seriously consider it.

If you plan to produce a fully-fledged magazine for resale you'll need something far more advanced however, and pretty well every magazine you see on the newstands is laid out using Quark Xpress, which has been used in the publishing industry for a very long time. This software can do virtually anything you want it to do in terms of text, graphics and image layout. It comes with a steep learning curve however, and the current version (version 6) will set you back around £1000.

Stuartli 18:37 03 Feb 06

Never a truer word spoken...:-)

I've used Publisher for around eight years and also believe it to be capable of most tasks that an average owner requires.

charming! 20:07 03 Feb 06

Great!! Thanks for all that. I have looked at the site for Serif page plus and downloaded one. I am also getting my hands on ms publisher in the next few days. I will have a bash with those and see what they offer.

As for the Quark Xpress - the cost is a bit steep, but it is something that i will bare in mind for a latter stage.

Thanks all for the advise - i knew i could count on you all :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5