Procrastinating about a Mesh Xtreme AM2 5000 PCC

OneInAMillion 15:44 28 Jul 06

Hi All,
I'm thinking of buying the "Mesh Xtreme AM2 5000 PCC" which "PC Advisor" rates as a "Best Buy". The spec summary:

Cost £1500 + Post and Packaging £40 = £1540
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Socket AMD2
Genuine Windows XP Home
ASUS KM2 N32 SLI Deluxe Mother Board
2048MB DDR2 533 Memory
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
512MB nVidia Geforce 7900GTX
19in View Sonic VX922 TFT DVI (2mS)
Soundblaster X-R Xtreme Music Soundcard
Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer
Sony 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Creative T7900 7.1 Speakers + Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard + Rechargeable Mouse
Advance Warranty - 2Years On-Site + 1Year BTB

The PC will be used by a family of five for everything including gaming, photography, video recording, surfing, MSN messaging and hopefully homework. I've have been driving the family mad procrastinating over which PC to buy. I don't mind spending alittle extra to ensure reliability and obsolescence proofing. My current PC is 6.5years old and is switched on for about 8 hours a day and in active use for about 5 hours,

I would be grateful for any comments on the above machine particularly if you own one. Please also suggest upgrades which at a small cost will be advantages. How many front and rear USB ports has the PC got.

dontmeshwithme 16:12 28 Jul 06

The machine looks like a very good deal, nice graphics and good processor. My only negative comment is that as a previous Mesh customer their after sales support leaves a lot to be desired. If you think you might require the post sales service I suggest you call the customer services helpline before you purchase and see how long it takes to get an answer. It was taking me anywhere between 15 and 25 minutes to speak to some-one and on a premium rate line. Hopefully it has improved considerably in the last 6 months. Also as you want to try to future proof, it might be worth waiting a month and seeing what happens to processor prices once Intel start releasing the CORE 2 in numbers, you might save yourself a £100 or so?

Jimmy14 16:33 28 Jul 06

Core 2 duo is already shipped into Mesh Pc's. I recommend that you buy one of them machines with the new core 2 duo in it. Have a look here,
click here
You won't be disappointed.

packettracer 16:49 28 Jul 06

Have you tried:
click here
Or
click here
Who both make the same spec pc's and they may be cheaper.

freaky 18:21 28 Jul 06

I would not be too put off by some members criticsm of Mesh support. There are a considerable number of Mesh owners on this forum who are very pleased with their Mesh PC's, including myself.

I got a high spec' model from them in January 05 - it worked OK straight from the box, and has been used everyday since with no problems.

They are very well constructed, with top rate components. You may find other makes offering a similar specification at lower prices, but the quality of the components and system case will be inferior.

OneInAMillion 19:16 31 Jul 06

"Intel Core 2" vs "AMD Athlon 64 X2"!

Which is better? Jimmy14 thinks Intel.

I did some crude maths comparing the Intel based "Mesh Elite Duo Pro" and AMD based "Mesh Xtreme AM2 5000 PCC" desktops. Both looked very similar after upgrading the latter's hard drive to 500GB. The graphics cards were different but I assumed similar, 512MB ATI Radeon X1900XT and 512MB nVidia Geforce 7900GTX respectively.

The Desktops are equipped with a Intel Core 2 E6600 (2.4GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz) and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 respectively. The crude maths suggested that the Intel processor will costs around £150 more.

Is the Intel device better than the AMD device? I would appreciate any comments.

I've gone into deep procrastination mode again. The wife is threatening to pop down to "PC World" and buy whatever the salesmen says is best.

jimmybond 19:30 31 Jul 06

"buy whatever the salesmen says is best...."

well, that's easy then - that will be the one with the largest price tag. Don't forget that extended warranty, mind ;-)

Jimmy14 19:49 31 Jul 06

Intel Conroes E6700 2.66Ghz which is not the highest of the Conroe line has beat AMD's highest processor, Amd Athlon FX-62 which is higher than the Amd Athlon X2 5000. Go through the link I am giving below and you will see for yourself the bechmarks conducted by "toms hardware" using all different programs e.g Pc Mark 05, Clone Dvd, games e.g Fear. Intel Core 2 duo (Conroe) has won hands down in all the tests against AMD's highest processor. Go for it.
click here

vinnyT 12:16 01 Aug 06

If I was building a new pc now (I wish) it would intel conroe, cheaper than amd (wow), cooler than amd (gosh) and still faster than amd chips (golly).

I have not built, nor reccommended, any intel spec pc in the last 4-5yrs because amd was better in almost every respect, now, intel has blown amd out of the water with its conroe chip. For the next year or so, intel is the way to go.

consultik 17:40 01 Aug 06

Personally if I was buying for a familly of 5 i might consider two £800 pcs rather than one £1600

961 19:40 01 Aug 06

You are right on the button!

So far as the manufacturer is concerned, I'd look at Dell 5150 etc and haggle hard for a reduction for buying two

Do you need two new monitors? That can save £150/£200

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017