processor upgrade p3 0.7 to Cel 1.4

bsheep9 17:36 18 Aug 05

I have a Gigabyte GA-60XM7 motherboard using the intel 815 AGP set. It uses a universal socket 370 processor (FC-PGA). At the moment i am using a 700mhz (100mhz fsb) pentium 3 and hope to upgrade to a celeron 1.4 from click here

However I do not know if it is compatible and how to replace the processor.

citadel 18:25 18 Aug 05

download your motherboard manual to find out what processors you can fit. I do not know if a celeron would give you much of a boost.

Stuartli 18:50 18 Aug 05

These are the Pentium and Celeron CPUs your motherboard will support:

click here

Stuartli 18:55 18 Aug 05

The motherboard manual will have to be checked for how to configure the front side bus and clock speeds - I have a Gigabyte mobo that uses two sets of dip switches on the board whose settings vary according to the CPU. They are fully listed in the manual, which I downloaded from the website.

If you are interested I have a spare Socket 370 PentiumIII 886MHz Coppermine CPU and fan for a reasonably modest price...:-)

bsheep9 20:33 18 Aug 05

thanks citadel but the 1.3/1.4 celeron isn't listed as being tested yet, nor does it say that it works. However at £10 to double my processor speed seems a bargain, even if it doesn't work.

Also is the only difference with celerons is their reduced cache, but mine is currently 128k, the same as the celeron.

Do you know any sites with instructions on how to replace a sk370 processor? Also would I need to update bios as well.

Stuartli 20:55 18 Aug 05

Tke off the heatsink and fan, lift up the zero force lever on the side of the Socket 370, take out the present CPU and replace with the new one (check that the pins line up with the socket correctly) and return the zero force lever to its normal position; you will then need to refit the heatsink and fan.

Stuartli 23:52 18 Aug 05

The Gigabyte link above gives all the CPUs which can be handled by the motherboard - a manual, by its nature, will most likely be out of date because of new processers becoming available.

It might require a Bios update to run the faster processors although it isn't likely in this case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…