processor speeds

keithyoshi 22:29 28 Apr 07

my current pc is about ready to be replaced. it is has an intel celeron 2.6ghz.
the ones i'm looking to replace it with are duo core 2.13ghz or duo core 2.4ghz. these new processors ghz appear slower but i know i must be missing something obvious? I will be mainly running image software like lightzone and photoshop with large image sizes, will i notice a difference in spee d with my new choices and does the cpu speed make all the difference?

Totally-braindead 23:11 28 Apr 07

The Celeron is a cut down version of the Pentium with less cache memory and is subsequently quite a bit slower.
The actual CPU speed is not as important as the performance.
I'm an AMD fan, as an example I have a Athlon 64 3500+ and it only runs at 2.21 ghz but because of the design it runs at approximatly the same performance as a Intel Pentium 4 3.5 ghz even though the clock speed is only 2.21 ghz.
The new Intel Dual Cores will be a huge boost. My Athlon is probably about twice as fast as your Celeron.
Have a look here for the comparisons of the newer chips click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…