Processor Speed Comparison.

JAKK1 08:49 11 Apr 05

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the equaivalent speed of an Intel Celeron M Processor 350 1.3 GHz is to a Pentium 4? OR if indeed there is such a comparison. Been looking around the net to see this "table of comparison" and havn't found one yet.

Maverick81 09:30 11 Apr 05

There isnt really a fair comparison, the celeron 350 m is a mobile celeron intended for laptops. so to make up for its lack of clock speed it has 2mb on level 2 cache. It will outperform a standard p4 chip when used in a laptop simply because the celeron consumes less power therefore the battery lasts longer.

I would go with the mobile chip.....

JAKK1 09:41 11 Apr 05

Thanks Maverick81, I have bought a Laptop at the weekend, with the spec that I had in mind before I walked into the shop (Evesham). But for my budget, the salesman said the Intel Celeron M 350 Processor is good enough (the rest of my spec was the same). He did echo what you say about comparison, ie that there is no "real" table of comparisons, but in HIS opinion this 1.3GHz is comparable to a P4 2.0GHz. For a Laptop, which will be used at home (mainly), I thought that was good enough.
However, I showed this spec to a friend, and he was a little concerned that the 1.3GHz was a bit slow, hence I have been trying to find a "comparison table".

My L2 Cache is only 1Mb, will that make a difference and is the salesman's comparison of Celeron M 1.3 GHz a realistic guestimate of a P4 2.0 GHz?

I guess the bottom line question I should ask is is this speed good enough to play DVD's and burn cd's ?

Thanks again in advance.

Maverick81 09:58 11 Apr 05

The celeron "M" does do rather well performance wise even though it has a low-ish clock speed.
Intel have done a fair bit of work to make sure that the CPU is well engineered and punches above its weight.

I think you will find its about the same as a 2ghz like the salesman said and you shouldnt have any problems with DVD playback.

Good luck with the Laptop and keep everyone one the forum upto date on your laptops performance.

Maverick81 10:00 11 Apr 05

Have a look at this link for more information

click here

JAKK1 10:02 11 Apr 05

Thanks Maverick81, I certainly will let the forum know how this are with my first Laptop. It's not going to be delivered until the 21st, so will let the forum know in a 2 or 3 months.

You have put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

TomJerry 10:12 11 Apr 05

I have a Pentium-M 1.6GHz (older Banna Chip) and it performs similar to 2.4GHz P4.

1.3 Celeron-M is about 2.6 GHz Celeron-D (desktop) which is about 2 GHz P4.

Actually the real thing which hold back the laptop performace is HDD which run 4200rpm (some run 5400 and a couple of model run 7200), but all desktop HDD run 7200rpm

If you want to make it faster, you can repalce HDD to a faster Hitach Travlestar E7k60 (not 7k60) which runs at 7200 rpm and the performace gain is about 30%. 40Gb version costs £70 and 60Gb version costs £100.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…