Problems with Computing Direct

Hesperider 16:12 25 Jan 03

Please can I ask for advice/help on behalf of my neighbour? He bought a PC from Computing Direct through QXL back in September, and so far, has been unable to use it. It came without an OS so he tried to install W98SE but it kept telling him there was a problem with a corrupt registry.
After asking a couple of semi-PC literate pals, he has come to the conclusion that there is a hardware problem. Any better ideas please?
He e-mailed Computing Direct, who responded quickly and said they would get one of their techies to telephone and talk hi through - needless to say the call never happened. Now, the company don't answer mails at all.
What's his next move? (Apart from throwing the thing down the garden?)

spuds 18:11 25 Jan 03

As your friend tried telephoning Computing Direct. If all communication avenues are not responding, then tell your friend to get in touch with their local Trading Standards for further help and advice.Why not post the computer problem in Helproom, someone may offer a quick solution!!.

Hesperider 21:26 25 Jan 03

Thanks for the input. He's currently in Australia but as soon as he gets back, he's going to try telephoning. I checked Computing Direct's feedback on QXL and it's not too good, apparently bad communication is par for the course. Benefits of hindsight eh?
And I will try Helproom - I'll go check for myself exactly which message comes up and sort out all relevant info before I post. Thanks for your help. :o)

rickf 22:43 25 Jan 03

If paid by cc and I assumed the thing costs over a £100 get in touch with the credit card people pronto.

Hesperider 22:53 25 Jan 03

I think it's a bit late now, sadly. He bought it in September then went off to Oz for 3 months as a kind of retirement jolly, paid for by his son who emigrated out there. It's such a shame too, 'cos he's not well off by any stretch and thought long and hard before buying this machine. Still, we'll get it sorted for him sooner or later. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…