Problem with Dell

ifty 17:12 13 Jul 06

Hi,
I bought a laptop from Dell in October 2005 without the extended warranty as I felt the 1 year standard manufacturing warranty would suffice. Recently I have experienced problems with the keyboard. When I phoned Dell about the problem and after numerous complaints about its service I was told that it was not covered under manufacturing warranty and I would need to pay for a new keyboard. After complaining and threatening legal action, Dell agreed that the problem was actually covered under the manufacturing warranty. A Dell representative phoned me and stated that once the keyboard had arrived I would get a phone call from Dell and would be told how to install the new keyboard. The keyboard arrived yestoday afternoon but I have not received a phone call from Dell. The keyboard does not come with any instructions and I’m left with a laptop which I cannot use. The service offered by Dell has been unprofessional and appalling. I feel that Dell is deliberately giving me a bad service as they want me to purchase there extended warranty. This issue has been on going for 2 weeks and I do not see this issue being resolved. Could anyone please advise me on how best to resolve this matter without spending time and money taking legal action.

961 17:19 13 Jul 06

If the keyboard arrived yesterday then can I suggest you allow just a little time for Dell to get on to you?

Why not give them a ring and ask for the installation instructions?

oresome 18:29 13 Jul 06

I would advise against attempting a repair yourself. You will have even more difficulty getting further 'service' once you've done this.

ifty 18:56 13 Jul 06

I think this forum is a godsend. I posted the original thread at 1712 and Dell contacted me at 1800 to give me the keyboard installation instructions. After installing the new keyboard we found that it didnt work. Dell have now promised to collect the laptop on Monday 17th July and service it. I hope Dell can keep their promise this time around coz I'm sick of complaining to them about their service. I'm sad to say that I will think twice before buying from Dell again. I'll wait till Monday now and see what happens - keeping my fingers crossed for this issue to be resolved.

spuds 19:05 13 Jul 06

If the keyboard failed within twelve months, then the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended)should apply.This act could even increase your claim up to six years, in certain cases. Refer the matter back to Dell, as the retailer, they still have responsibilities.

Changing parts yourself would perhaps invalidate future claims. Regarding the phone call, perhaps Dell are giving an allowance for delivery times. Why not phone them yourself, and tell them the goods have arrived.

One point worthy of question. Was the laptop purchased on a business or private arrangement. As this could make a difference, as to your entitlement under consumer laws, and the above advice could be irrelevant.

spuds 19:09 13 Jul 06

Appears as though my slow typing didn't help, and the problem as been resolved :O)

Hope everything turns out okay ifty.

ifty 16:47 19 Jul 06

Finally, this issue has been resolved. It only took 3 weeks, 3 complaints and the threat of legal action for Dell to pull their finger out and resolve the issue. Would I buy from Dell again? - NO. Would I recommend Dell? - NO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…