Printers and scanners which brand?

newearwax 10:30 11 Apr 08

Currently HP5150 and Canoscan N670U but thinking of changing to a multifunction to, amongst other things, save space. Fairly light use to print letters and photos ( up to A4 size). Current system XP Home SP2, but may eventually want to upgrade to Vista.

What are members' thoughts of suitable equipment?

Is it true that some makes are better with text than photo and other vice versa? On that what is general view of the various offerings?

newearwax 10:33 11 Apr 08

If I can get away under £100, but with good quality0 happy!

jack 11:51 11 Apr 08

Look of.
Every brand has its up and downs- and any suggestion from folk will be very subjective.
I personally would avoid Lexmark for example and major of Epson, but that is me

pj123 11:59 11 Apr 08

There are lots of MFDs under £100.

Try this one;

click here

Affordable replacement ink cartridges from Choice Stationery

spuds 12:14 11 Apr 08

I have a range of various make printers, and all have/are provided a good service, so I would say it all comes down to personal choice and finance, in the long term.

In the 4in1 range that I have, HP590,HP C3180 and Lexmark X5150 all are good products on a budget range price. The HP C3180 is the latest model, which give excellent overall results, with a purchase price range of £39.99 to approx £79.99 depending on special offer promotions.

Of the Epson range, the replacement cartridges can be fairly cheap, but at times, these printers can become a problem if not used frequently.There are solutions around this, and its best to ask when any problems occur for perhaps easy remedies.

GaT7 13:23 11 Apr 08

Yep, I'd go for the HP C3180:

* £40.47 delivered click here

* PCA review click here

* Ink from eBay click here (over the last few years I've been buying inexpensive 'expired' cartridges from eBay for my HP Deskjet 640c & they work just fine).

My neighbour has used the C3180 for over a year (light use) & it gives good results. Not sure about the photo printing though as that's one thing she hasn't tried - perhaps spuds can tell us about this? G

spuds 14:19 11 Apr 08

Regarding photo production, the HP C3180 as card reader and the Photosmart Express facility , so making the process of transfer and photo printing easy. Print quality is very good (in my opinion)using the normal inks provided.

The other advantage of this model, is the higher (double!) capacity compatible ink cartridges that are available. HP originals capacities are rather limited, but still provide reasonable service on 'average' usage 7ml colour 11ml black.

setecio 22:11 11 Apr 08

I'd go for the canon mp520 @ £80

john bunyan 22:42 11 Apr 08

I had an ink freeze problem on an Epson only just out of warranty, since then I agree with setecio re Canon. Mine has a seperate ink head that could be replaced , and my local Cartridge world and a camera shop use Canons.

the old man 23:14 11 Apr 08

I really don't mean to hijack but I am looking for a wireless multifunction. any comments.

Stuartli 23:54 11 Apr 08

You can buy the Canon MP210 for as little as £20 now, but the Epson DX4400 is superior at around twice that price.

There are so many of these MP printers around at present around the £40 to £70 mark (HP have a wireless model at the latter price), that it's difficult to make a decision.

Running costs should be the main consideration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…