Printer suggestions

de_de 21:52 31 Oct 05

Hi, I have already run a search on 'printers' on here, but has left me just as confused as before.

What I am after is a printer that ticks these boxes for me:

1) Price about £80
2) Ideally photo printer, but not used that often for photos, only now and again.
3) Mainly black text printing.
4) NOT another Epson (I want print head as part of cartridge this time!)
5) I would like big ink cartridge capacity, but not too expensive (don't we all)
6) Usage, roughly once or twice a week, so clogging ink an issue for me.

The print head on my Epson C66 has clogged due to not using the printer often enough. I have tried every thing to clean it to no avail.

I fancy an HP this time round, as my work ones always did a few years hard use before they packed in.

So any HP and other brand reccomendations would be appreciated. Oh and not Lexmark again either!

Thanks in advance

PaulB2005 22:50 31 Oct 05

Canon - everytime for me. 3 so far.

I have an older S630 and i got my mum an IP3000 (about £80 ish)

A couple of advantages of both these printers.

1) The ink heads are in a cradle which is separate from the ink tanks = cheaper cartridges. Also makes it very easy to clean / replace the ink head.

2) The ink tanks are clear and use a light beam to measure the ink levels so you get pretty much all the ink out of a cartridge. Unlike some brands that print for x pages and then say they are empty, when they aren't.

3) Black tanks are bigger and cost about £9 for genuine and the 3 colours cost about £8 each for genuine.

Much better than the dozens of Epsons and HPs I've installed over the years.

hzhzhz 23:48 31 Oct 05

I use canon ip4000. Im well pleased with it.

ade.h 17:30 02 Nov 05

When my i865 eventually needs a replacement, I'll be staying with Canon. No question. Fast, quiet (which is very important to me) and the original carts are the cheapest, though I now use the even cheaper compatibles from Choice. Print quality is pretty much unimpeachable.

PaulB2005 17:32 02 Nov 05

...is the driver can control the Power.

You can set it so the printer switches on when it's needed and then powers off after x minutes of not being used.

ade.h 17:33 02 Nov 05

Regarding your point #3; To the best of my knowledge, Canons do not integrate the print head into the carts. My i865 certainly doesn't.

I hope that fact won't put you off though, as changing the print head is a cheap and easy job. Did you have a bad experience with an Eson print head?

ade.h 17:33 02 Nov 05

Sorry, I meant point #4.

ade.h 17:36 02 Nov 05

....and I've just read why you don't like Epson print heads! I'm not being very observant today!

I don't think you'll have any worries about Canon; I'm still on the original head after two years and it always works perfectly when I come back from holiday, etc.

steve1ooo 17:48 02 Nov 05

canon ip4000 , exellent product

flyingbrit 18:26 02 Nov 05

Yea, I've had canon ip3000 9 months now no problems at all,nice photo's too.Ordered online from pc world picked up and payed in store £63.79....a bargin!!!!

freaky 20:20 02 Nov 05

The only printer that I know of that incorporates the printer head in the cartridge is HP.

I have had a number of HP Printers and find them very good - and no blocked heads!

My current printer is the HP Photosmart 7960, this is very fast, economical and fantastic for colour photographs. It has 3 printer cartridges, one of which is specially designed for enhancing certain shades in colour photograph printing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…