Printer faulty 20 days out of warranty

Mo82 21:53 22 Nov 04

My HP 2210 all in one printer has developed a scanner fault which will not allow the self test to complete and therefore the whole machine is unusable. The manufacturers warranty was extended by 3 months on top of the usual 12 months by a HP promotion at the time of purchase. 20 Days after this expired the fault developed. I have been back to PC World where I purchased the printer but their response was they do not repair printers and the warranty has expired. They also suggested that it would not be cost effective to have the unit repaired. Is this acceptable and should I expect to get more than 15 months use from this machine???

spuds 22:32 22 Nov 04

Usually you will find that a printer of good quality should last more than 15 months, there is something within the consumer laws which allows for this.I have a HP 590 OfficeJet which is now about seven years old, and as never failed in all that time. Have a word with your local trading standards on that subject. Some printers are not cost effective in seeking a repair, and this may also depend on the manufacturers policy, as some manufacturers will just replace the whole unit.Stores like PC World usually really on the manufacturer for repair and service backup, as this is the best and quickest way in obtaining a replacement or repair.

I recently purchased a fully working brand new Dell [Lexmark] printer for £9.99 which included delivery. At that sort of price,the warranty must have been worth more than the printer.

beeuuem 01:32 23 Nov 04

I wish you luck. Canon tend to be reasonable and helpful. My only experience of HP was that they quoted their warranty terms ad infinitum and refuse to bend. The only advice was they offered was to buy a new unit. That is their right but does not create any sense that they wish to retain existing customers.

oresome 21:41 23 Nov 04

The manufacturers warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, which do not lay down hard and fast rules regarding how long is reasonable. That would have to be tested in court.

The reality is, if you can't get anywhere with the supplier or manufacturer, you'll probably put it down to bad luck and repurchase another brand from a different supplier.

The consumer purchasing a single item is in a difficult position determining if the item was manufactured with a defect, or if it's simply a case of bad luck. If you'd bought a hundred and eighty failed after 15 months, the evidence would be clear and your case stronger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…