Printer that can use compatible inks

Hetti 17:09 25 Oct 14

I'm buying a printer for grandson as a Christmas gift. This will be an all in one machine, used mainley for homework but it would need to run with compatible ink to keep costs to a minumun. Has anyone got a printer or can recommend a one, that they know will definately use compatibles?

john bunyan 17:19 25 Oct 14

I bought a Brother Printer/Scanner at my local Cartridge World for a grand daughter a year ago. They seem not to show them on the net but if you have a Cartridge world shop nearby it is worth popping in as they will supply compatible ink. It was about £65.

john bunyan 17:21 25 Oct 14

An example :

Cartridge World

Hetti 17:59 25 Oct 14

Thanks John I also have a Brother DCP 195 uses compatible no problem,(but have had it quiet a few years now so I dont suppose that particular model will be still beavailable. I dont have a a cartridge world near me,was hoping to get it at my local Currys/PC World. The Epson Expressions Home XP 322 is £59.99 at currys/pc world and I can get comp inks on www.prink.co.uk for 18.95 for 3 full sets, this seems unbelievably low, if this the case I may settle on that one, but will still look around until I buy it middle of next week. Thanks again

Hetti 18:09 25 Oct 14

John Sorry, that should be one full set of coulours and four extra black for £18.95, silly me still a good price tho.

alanrwood 19:25 25 Oct 14

HP e6700 is an excellent machine with compatibles available at reasonable price.

spuds 00:23 26 Oct 14

I have a number of printer's (cheaper to throw away,than repair), mainly 4 in 1's that all run on compatible ink cartridges. The latest purchase was a Brother DCP-135C that's been a brilliant printer for all the main reasons.

If you want further savings in ink costs, then consider purchasing a printer that is capable of using CISS or refill system. Find a printer, then look on eBay for a CISS or refill system. Going back to the Brother DCP-135C, I get compatibles for about 50 pence each (LC-970/1000) that seem to last for ages.

Cumbrian_gadgey 21:15 26 Oct 14

Hi!

The first thing I'd say is: don't buy Kodak!

My first ever printer was an Epson stylus pro. It was slow, especially by today's standards. It was noisy. It also produced photo quality prints that wouldn't be half bad even now. It did this and countless documents for years before finally dying of old age.

I was seduced by Kodak's fancy ads and bought one of their all-in-one units. It was rubbish. Never mind the fact that at the time, their cartridges were patented and the cheap aftermarket ones weren't available (they were for the Epson and it was still good), it couldn't print without puddling ink; photos made everyone look as if they were riddled with acne; printed text was as sharp as a blunt banana.

It packed in after hardly any use (but just outside the guarantee, naturally) and I bought a new Epson a few months back.

Great! Photo quality is back. Aftermarket ink is back. Text is as sharp as a pin. It is quiet. It is still a bit slow, but hey! If the print is great who cares about another few seconds?

It's also very compact. In fact, it was one of the few that would fit on my computer desk. It's an Epson XP-412. It has WiFi. They do others and may have later models better than this for the price but I swear by it.

onthelimit1 08:39 27 Oct 14

I have had some problems with Epson printers on compatibles. I usually buy ink from 999inks online, but there are loads of other options.

alanrwood 09:14 27 Oct 14

Kodak said some months ago they were getting out of the printer business.

Hetti 14:01 27 Oct 14

Thanks all Im looking at a Brother DCP-J411DW on offer at Tesco with a 50 pound reduction at the moment, comp ink reasonable too.

All comments appreicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac