printer advice please

knockin on 22:58 02 Mar 06

I am looking to buy a new printer.I need to print text and coloured charts or excel spreadsheets, but infrequently.(2 sheets a week).Also photographs from a digital camera (although not necessarily directly from card to printer). I believe that injet is best for quality graphics, but laser is better for infrequent use (because of cartridge drying out). Does anyone have experience to advise me please?

961 08:55 03 Mar 06

Buy an inkjet for photo and quality

Buy a printer with print head in the ink cartridge (e.g. Hewlett Packard) so that you get a new print head with every new cartridge

If by any chance you get drying out problems, a new cartridge will sort the problem. However, to avoid such problems print a colour A4 sheet each week and do not keep the printer in a very warm place

Do not buy an inkjet with the print head in the machine as a drying out problem may well render the machine useless/ Such things often happen just after the warranty runs out

There is a full review of inkjets and their costs in the current PCPro magazine

Stuartli 13:02 03 Mar 06

My former Canon BJC 600e printer (bought in 1996) had a separate print head which was guaranteed to last the life of the printer.

I used the Canon genuine cartridges up and from then on only compatible ink refills (JR and Jettec) or same brand compatible cartridges.

The printhead never dried up.

I haven't had the problem either with my three-month-old Epson R300.

However, Epson is now switching to four rather than six cartridge designs and, according to the reviews, the difference between them on colour prints is virtually indiscernable.

Be a bit cheaper to run no dout...:-)

knockin on 21:35 03 Mar 06

Thank you both for your responses. I will take your advice and read some injet reviews before deciding.

Belatucadrus 23:36 03 Mar 06

Have a look at the April 2006 PCPro, it contains one of the most comprehensive reviews of inkjet printers covering print quality, speed and costs that I've ever seen. Well worth reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…