Printer advice, inc CISS info, please :)

hillfox 18:51 24 Apr 09

My old printer is about to give up the ghost. I was online all last night looking at different models and reading reviews but I just cant make up my mind as there are so many out there.

My present one is an Epsom but I have never been impressed with the fact that the cartridges cant be recycled. Also, they have some sort of chip that reads when you put a cheaper non Epsom cartridge in, which can invalidate the warranty.

So I am looking for a good model, up to £100 (but nearer £50 if poss).
I occasionally print pictures so want a picture one. Also want one that prints double sided. I dont do masses of printing so speed isnt an issue.

Have been looking at Canon and HP but have heard that Canons drink the ink rapidly.
I really want something economical to run and have just been reading about CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System). Anyone had experience of that? I dont do a huge amount of printing but it bugs me how much I have to pay for cartridges

Any thoughts, good or bad? Anyone know of a good deal on anywhere?
Have also been looking on ebay but nothing has jumped out at me as being a really good deal.

Thanks very much.

Kevscar1 19:59 24 Apr 09

Also, they have some sort of chip that reads when you put a cheaper non Epsom cartridge in, which can invalidate the warranty

It has been proved in court that that does not invalidate the warrenty

jack 20:03 24 Apr 09

Ink jets don't- Lasers do.
See -click here
I can recommend this printer[Samsung CLP315]
Accepting the fact Laser only print on copy paper [Not Ink jet Photo] the colour image is acceptable- and if you really need top quality photo getting it formed from a memory card at your local Boots/Asda/Jessops is cheaper.
A good duplex[double sided] colour laser is what you are after then.

Jim Thing 21:01 24 Apr 09

Have a look at Choice Sationery (click here).

I've copied the following direct from the FAQ section of Choice's website:
--------------------------------------------------
"If I Buy A Cartridge From You Will It Void The Warranty On My Printer?

Most certainly not! Compatible replacement cartridges and supplies do not void the Printer Manufacturers Warranty. As extra peace of mind though should one of our cartridges cause damage to your printer, we will collect, inspect and repair / replace your printer free of charge within its original 12 month guarantee."
--------------------------------------------------

Like others on this forum, I've dealt with Choice for several years and found their compatible cartridges to be excellent, at a price that puts the printer manufacturers to shame.

Usual disclaimer; I'm just a satisfied customer.

hillfox 21:19 24 Apr 09

Hey Jack
I didnt think that inkjets printed double sided but I have seen it mentioned a number of times, for example on Canon website it says of the Pixma iP4600......
Document printing
Print text documents in mono or colour; a pigment black ink delivers crisp, sharp text. Single or double-sided printing is possible with the auto duplex feature – a practical and efficient function.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Any more suggestions welcome.

hillfox 21:34 24 Apr 09

Thanks for the Choice link. A few weeks back, I bought for my old printer 2 el cheapo cartridges and they dont work which was why I have been looking for a new printer. At the price of the ones on Choice it is worth buying one to see if it works and I can coach the old printer to carry on a bit longer!

beeuuem 22:50 24 Apr 09

The Canon IP4600 has auto duplex printing as does the IP4500 which I have and use.
I found the cartridges were economical although I opted for a CISS system from click here which is very much cheaper to run. Their CISS system for the IP4600 is under development and is, they say, due any time now.

hillfox 07:53 25 Apr 09

Ahem.... I am a bit embarrassed to tell you something........

I was just looking at my epson printing preferences and thought I should try a nozzle check and head cleaning. It works now!! Sorry for being such a dimwit. This is an old printer but dont like to get rid of it until it conks out completely. Thanks for all your advice! May still look into CISS.

Will def order cheap cartridges from now on from CHOICE.

jack 08:08 25 Apr 09

Well there you go -these things do creep up on one don't they!

Goliht 13:01 25 Apr 09

Lol. Samsung clp 315? you're kidding.. that is one of the worst possible buys ever.

Laser for double sided. Waste of time really, do you printer that much you need duplex?

If you do, you're looking at forking out £400+ for a decent printer.

Check the costs of the replace carts and capacities BEFORE you buy anything. Don't buy samsung. The PRINTERS are CHEAPER than the CONSUMBABLES!

I'd personally go for an inkjet, probably HP. Thier software is flawless, the units work forever. The consumbables are fairly cheap £10-£15 per cart. But the newer lastest ones are abit skimpy on output. So you could double the con cost.

Do research.
Do check price of consumbables.
Check for o/s Driver versions and actual age of printer before you buy.
If you want colour and or duplex, don't spend less than £350. It won't do what you want. You WILL spend months in frustration talking to people on the phone who WON'T even try to help you.

Goliht 13:09 25 Apr 09

"Most certainly not! Compatible replacement cartridges and supplies do not void the Printer Manufacturers Warranty. As extra peace of mind though should one of our cartridges cause damage to your printer, we will collect, inspect and repair / replace your printer free of charge within its original 12 month guarantee."

This is incorrect.

Although technically, the recycled cart doesn't invalidate your warranty. Noone will help you unless you can prove the unit is failing with branded carts of the same manufacturer.

IE the correct and only carts to use in the machine, you wouldn't use square wheels would you?

Don't use recycleable carts, the people you're buying from are falling just short of piracy with what they sell you.

The reaons branded carts are expensive is because people try to use cheap toner and like idiot car users putting up your insurance, they're doing this to the toner carts. And the fact that some korean manufacturers are thieving skanks. Although why anyone would buy from a company that supports international terrorism is beyond me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…